Video light for GoPro

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Flotsam

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I've been looking at getting my first video light/s for my Gopro 4. Most of my diving is daytime in clear waters (S FL), with some night dives. It would be great if the light could double as a focusing light for my Olympus TG4 & had red light option. Also, I would like to be able to switch out batteries.

I can probably only afford one light right now, and am looking for 2000 lumens for around $300. Since most lights don't seem to really have the claimed lumens (or can only do it for a few minutes), I'm hoping for input on the lights I'm currently looking at:
Kraken 2800 $399
Kraken 2000 sports hydra wr $265
ITorch 2000 $299
ITorch Fishlite v25 2800 $300
BB Black Molly III 2600 $290

I've also looked at the Archon D36V 5200 @$283, but am afraid the lumens would turn out to be 800... Has anyone been able to compare it with one of the above torches?

I'm going to do some goliath dives on the M/V Castor in a couple weeks and hope to have the light by then :)

Thanks!

Take a look at the video lights, arm and tray system we offer. It is modular, but with your budget you can buy the entire system with two wide angle video lights. Good luck on your upcoming dive!

Last edited:
I have a pair of Black Molly 3s that I use primarily for macro and night diving. They are bulletproof and last for a two full dives if I toggle them on/off as needed. They will burn continuously for two hours but there is a drop in output around the midpoint. I recommend them as a good value option. I will eventually upgrade to something in the 5-8K lumen range for wide angle video.

Thanks for the suggestions! I just noticed a discontinued Light and Motion 3000 for $400. It's slightly over-budget and I can't switch out batteries, but a bit more lumens and I don't think it's got the dropoff. Wish it came with a red light, but I might be able to work around that with some red plastic wrap :)

I wonder how the light & motions are engineered to avoid the dropoff tho.....

The burn times on the Solas are only 50-60 minutes. So, it is basically the same effect as the BigBlues, which burn hot for an hour then drop to lower output for the second hour.

I don't have any experience using a red light and I'm not sure why it would be necessary. My wife uses a TG-4 with a YS-03 strobe and a DGX600 for focusing. Works great day and night!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom