Video from the Vandenberg

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RickI

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Went scooter free diving on the Vandenberg yesterday. The dropped it in 140 ft. off water about 7 miles south of Key West on Wednesday. Wore a Go Pro camera in a chest harness shooting stills every 2 s and hand held a camera for video. I wanted to catch it shortly after sinking before the algae covered all the white surfaces up. I still remember a Stephen Frink shot of the Duane off Key Largo in clear blue water just after sinking. White on blue! Just put up a short video clip pending processing all this stuff into a video:

Scooter Free Diving The Vandenberg, KW, FL 5.31.09 on Vimeo

[vimeo]4944629[/vimeo]

Here are a few stills as well:

v1_PICT1583.sized.jpg

Viz. was about 50 to 60 ft. I think the cameras saw further than I could in some cases

v2_PICT1482.sized.jpg

The bow has a surreal aspect to it. Passed a couple of divers holding a Conch Republic flag up after of this point. There was about 1.5 mph current running north. With the scooter on high power you could motor fairly easily into it. On downwind turns you went flying though! Covered about half the wreck on one dive.

v4_PICT0321.sized.jpg

Both radar dishes were dislodged by hydraulic forces during sinking. They've been cabled in place to pad eyes on the deck to secure them for the time being

v3_PICT0916.sized.jpg

Coming up from the bottom, looking way up the side and to the sun.

Nice session, lots more to come

Last edited by a moderator:
I am officially jealous!

Thanks for the video and pics. I can't wait for more pics videos and dive reports to start showing up.

Will do, have to get two mag articles out tonight and a standup race writeup and the video will be on the way!

In the meantime here are a few more stills ...

v8_PICT1536.jpg

Heading against the current towards the bridge deck and through that opening on the left

v6.jpg

It's only been a few days and look at that heavy mat of algal growth

v5_PICT0177.jpg

Orbiting by one of the cabled down radar dishes

v7_PICT1376.jpg

The forward section?

Stay tuned, lots more still and video to come

Last edited:
Dove it yesterday morning and there was a current but nothing you couldn't swim against. Starting to see some life, cuda, tarpon, and 3 turtles....

Michael

kwflfire what boat were you on? RickI here pretty much named everything I saw...I dont think it will e to long untill there is plenty of life there.

kwflfire what boat were you on? RickI here pretty much named everything I saw...I dont think it will e to long untill there is plenty of life there.

I was on a private boat named Rapture of the Sea, we did a morning dive about 9:30am.

Going again on Friday, this time I'm using doubles so I can get some down time..:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom