Video editing - android tablet or windows laptop

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tablet would be way too slow. Is there even a video editing app for Android?

Yes, several, but most of the ones I've tried are lacking in one way or another. KineMix is a free app that allows you to splice together footage (you can set the the start and end points of each clip), with no re-encoding being done (I've even been able to do this on 4k footage from my GH4). You can add audio as well. I've also tried VideoShow and several other editing apps (search video editing apps on Android). Haven't found anything that really impressed me yet.

Another issue with most tablets is the lack of suitable USB ports for uploading and downloading footage from the camera although if I remember right some have a SDHC or mini-SDHC port (although if your camera is recording to an internal memory device you'd need USB or other connection)

Another issue with most tablets is the lack of suitable USB ports for uploading and downloading footage from the camera although if I remember right some have a SDHC or mini-SDHC port (although if your camera is recording to an internal memory device you'd need USB or other connection)

I just came back from a trip at Raja & we ended up close to 300GB of videos & photos.

There is just NO way any tablets currently can handle video storage for HD videos today. One option for tablet I'm thinking of trying is to use a (most tablets use now adays, check google or amazon) micro USB OTG cable to connect the tablet & an external drives with an external powersource such as the USB powered wall adapter. Then place the microSD (which most tablets or smartphones support) to allow transfer to external drive using the tablet or smartphone as a transfer medium.

As far as editing software options Android platform does not even come close to PC's. Processing power, memory & video memory matters a lot as well. To have all that in a labtop would be a bit costly & still not achieving the power of desktop.

I have an i7 with 64GB ram, 16GB video ram with 2 high end video cards, ssd drive. Last night, a 3GB gopro video of about 15-20 min at 1920x1080 60 FPS took about 5 min for the Gopro studio to process.

I have an i7 with 64GB ram, 16GB video ram with 2 high end video cards, ssd drive. Last night, a 3GB gopro video of about 15-20 min at 1920x1080 60 FPS took about 5 min for the Gopro studio to process.

ed1d530c3894f49cfcf43b01a30c08c74f4131a579862139f689edaa671d4bd2.jpg

Im going to second the notion that you might be ok using the most powerful Microsoft Surface Pro ...which is a tablet with the power of a medium power laptop, and unlike most tablets, has complete connectivity to cameras, hard drives, and TV sets to playback on.....
You could run Adobe Premiere or Vegas Pro on one, quite well. FOEGET using After effects though:)

As small as a Surface Pro is, you could easily bring a 2 gig portable external drive, and still have little to carry.
....but...you need the Surface pro 3 that has 8 gigs of ram and the I7 processor....get the cheap one and it will be a poor editing experience.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom