Video Camera housing made from army ammo can

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That looks simple and effective. About as effective as the $300 acrylic tube I made...but for only $10. Live and learn :) I wonder if this dude makes infomercials for a living?

He does make videos for a living. Someone else posted a link from him tonight on how to get out of handcuffs. I started watching his channel and he all kinds of really cool stuff on there. Did you know a 12 volt camera battery is full of 1.5 volt button cells? Or that a 9 volt batter has something very similar to 6 AAA batteries inside. Or how to make a laser guided sling shot? That looked pretty cool!

Here are a couple of other housing clip ideas.

YouTube - How to build an inexpensive Underwater Camera Housing

YouTube - d.i.y underwater housing for video camera part1

On the first clip, I would think it would be a good idea to cut down that coupler he uses so you don't have a tunnel vision effect.

I like the vid with the ABS parts. However, I have a question that one of you DIY camera housing gurus might be able to answer. Shouldn't the lens go on the other side (pressure side) of the separator?

The lens on the pipe set up is between the lip on the coupler and the pipe. It has support from both sides. The lens when pressure from the outside water hits it presses into the end of the pipe.

Shouldn't the lens go on the other side (pressure side) of the separator?

I would think you want the acylic to be on the outside as he has done in the video. This way, the sealant is not acting to counter the pressure from blowing the acrylic into the box, it's merely acting as a waterproofing layer (the strength of the acrylic itself is what prevents it from imploding). Generally, as with light lenses, you don't want the glue/seal to work against the pressure acting on the vessel, you want it to reinforce the seal.

Edit: Ah, you're asking about one of the other vids posted. My bad.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom