Video camera for low light and murky pics?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

caboLH

Registered
Reaction score
I want to get a video camera that I can take close up pictures of a boats hull trouble spots. I work in San Francisco Bay and the visability is often 10-14 inches. I am looking for the most economical method to do this, as I just want to show customers trouble spots on their hulls. Size and weight of the unit is not a big factor as I work off of a Dive boat and am usually within 40' of the boat and go down to a maximum of 15'. Any recommendations?

Thanks,
Leann

I have an old Sony Hi 8 TRV81(i think) and an old ikelite aluminum housing. My firends and I use it in Monterey for all kinds of stuff and get nice close ups of seastars, nudies, sand dollars, you name it. I've had it in >3ft of viz and the only thing that we could see was when we got to within 1 foot of the object.
So I have proof that you don't need the latest and greatest. I bought the whole setup used with a wide angle lens, red filter and 4 hr battery for $500

Norcal Diver,
That sounds like what I need to get. Do you have to have additional lighting with the Video Camera? Also what is the red lens for?

Thanks, I'm so new to this video thing...

Nope, no lighting. I've had it down to 95 ft once off a boat and still didn't need extra lighting as the auto exposure did a pretty good job.

The red filter is to counteract the natural blue of the water. I've never used it because I liked the wide angle and the housing is just big enought for the wide lens...if I put the red filter on at the same time, it hits the dome glass of the housing. My friend took it to Maui last week and used the red filter w/o the wide angle on a dive and we really couldn't tell the dif, altho some people swear by them especially w/o extra lighting at depth....shrug. I mean, yeah everything has a blue tint, but it looks just like what I see, not an aquarium.

Now, one of the guys at my shop showed me a kit that he uses for lights. 2 flexable arms that were about $50 each and they let you attach 2 UK light cannon HIDs to the housing with no modifications....pretty darn cool if you ask me, and a whole lot cheaper than light and motions vid lights.

For what you're looking for, I don't think you would really need them, as I said, I have pretty good results in Monterey.

One place you might check out..other than ebay, is Backscatter, an UW camera store in Monterey. They carry some pretty pricey stuff, but in their defense, I know the usually have a pretty good selection of used equip and the guys there know cameras and housing inside out. I think they're the west cost dealer for ikelight and THEE dealer for light and motion.

I've attached a pic of the camera and housing to give you an idea of what my old stuff looks like.

and here's a clip of a seal I got a a couple months ago.

http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=17004

Here's the link to Light and Motion. You'll find the flexible strobe arms and set-up that norcaldiver was talking about.

I've been using the same arms for 3-4 years. The Loc-Line segments make it very flexible and I can move my strobe to any position without restrictions of an extended or jointed arm.

Dee,
How do the lights perform in low light and murky conditions? Does lighting create backscatter or help with the video? I will be using it within 1 foot of my subject matter, a boat hull.

Thanks, Leann

caboLH once bubbled...
Dee,
How do the lights perform in low light and murky conditions? Does lighting create backscatter or help with the video? I will be using it within 1 foot of my subject matter, a boat hull.

Thanks, Leann

First..I am NOT a videographer! But the HID lights that norcaldiver mentioned and that are shown in L&M's website are very bright. And if you are only 12 inches from your subject, I'd be more concerned about them being too bright!

Backscatter is caused when light is reflected off particles in the water directly back onto the film/CCD of the camera. With strobes/lights able to be positioned, you'll have less of a chance for backscatter. And from what I understand, lights are a must with video....but again, I'm not a videographer!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom