Video at night with no lights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I am looking for advice on video at night, using an ROV, with no lights. This will be for filming a spawning aggregation of bonefish. The good news is that they spawn in offshore waters in the tropics, so the water is very clear, and typically around the full moon. The bad news is they spawn at night at about 200' depth. My initial thought was to use infrared lights, and convert the ROV camera to infrared. Any thoughts, suggestions, advice, experience to share? Thanks.
Aaron

Thanks. Might be able to mount this to the ROV, but then would still have the problem of being able to follow the fish using the ROV video feed.

You're going to want an I2-based camera system, not a thermal system. Think "IR Camera" or night vision, not FLIR.

This is what happens when you put a FLIR underwater.

You're going to want an I2-based camera system, not a thermal system. Think "IR Camera" or night vision, not FLIR.

This is what happens when you put a FLIR underwater.
Great demonstration. Thanks.

So based on comments here and in another forum, it looks like I have to go with a camera that is super light-sensitive. Now I begin the search for that expertise. Thanks for the feedback.

You need a camera that is IR sensitive. Basicly all cameras are IR sensitive but a IR filter is added to the lense.
Maybe you have already a camera that could be "converted" with a lense without an IR filter?
If you have that you can use IR-lights to illuminate the area.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom