VHF radios...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PlayaCountryBoy

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Playa del Carmen, Mexico-Meso American Reef
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I have just ordered a set of the Midland Nautico handheld VHF marine radios....does anyone have one of these? If so..how's it workin' for ya? Hope to see ya'll down here soon!:D

Jason, I don't have a Nautico, but I know folks who do. They've made a couple of models - do you have the one that has both NiMh battery and a pack for alkaline AA's? If so, that's good, as I don't hear great things about the battery life and you may want to carry a spare Ziploc bag of AA batteries and their cassette. Also, bring a waterproof case for them and consider them to be mostly shorter range radios. (Again, this is second-hand info, so it may be inaccurate, but it's worth being aware of - this is safety equipment, after all.)

Apart from that, I can't provide much info, though they're nice and compact, and the price is certainly right. I hope they work out for you, but if they don't, I recommend a replacement from Standard Horizon. They're more expensive (by a fair amount), but they're great radios (I've used and abused them for years), and the company backs them incredibly well. The extra money may seem like a waste, but the first time a cheaper radio doesn't work, it will seem a whole lot less like a great deal.

Hope this helps,

- John

Back
Top Bottom