VHF radio or cell phone?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

VHF hands down, don't even joke or screw around and get a 3w radio just invest in a 25w. Why you ask? Example being we've had an extraordinary amount of missing boaters the past year.. well, not really considering we're getting 26000 people a year move into our area, but thats aside the point. On several of these boats they had hand helds which, when checked, were found to contain dead batteries. Also, the range at which people realized they were lost (no compass or GPS and appearently dont remember the sun/moon rise in the east and set in the west, and if your in the Gulf, FL is in the east!) they were well outside the 3 mile range of a hand held.

In my own experience growing up and having had multiple boats since long before I could drive cars, I would never trust a hand held. That was fun to leave with folks on the beach when the rest of us went to a nearby artificial reef to fish, however, I've also witnessed this peice of hardware barely making the range on open water and had I not had a taller antenna with my fixed mount radio, we'd have never recieved the calls. I've even been the relay for a group of boaters who had jumped off his boat in shallow water and broken his neck and was being supported by his friends in the water while one was trying in vain to radio the USCG 2.5 miles away (and visible via line of sight) and not recieving any response... well, until I keyed up my trusty VHF and lit up USCG with a medical emergency call. I should mention there was a weather factor as well - but this just vividly demonstrates how an effective tool on clear days and open water can be dramatically cut down under less than perfect circumstances.

Why no cell phone? Well, the phone is only good for a few miles off shore at best, the phone is very susceptable to salt water moisture, and you can't talk to a CG boat or helicopter real well with a cell phone.

CBulla:
I've even been the relay for a group of boaters who had jumped off his boat in shallow water and broken his neck and was being supported by his friends in the water while one was trying in vain to radio the USCG 2.5 miles away (and visible via line of sight) and not recieving any response... well, until I keyed up my trusty VHF and lit up USCG with a medical emergency call

The Coasties antenna may well have not been on the roof of the
station. They run a network of remote transmitters. There are
coverage charts at http://www.navcen.uscg.gov/marcomms/cgcomms/nds.htm
The antennas are at the center of the circular coverage areas.
They are in the process of modernizing this system, which will
change some of the antenna locations.

Sounds like you need a boating class before you go in the ocean. Im sorry to be blunt.

What would you do if you had an emergency and you are in a spot with no cell phone service. Also remeber VHF only travel as far as the arc of the horizon,,, thats why most offshore boats have a SSB.....Always have a back up for a back up.....

There was a situation Sunday a week ago in Monterey where the VHF proved its
better than the cell phone. A fellow diving off one of the commercial dive boats started
coughing up blood and turning blue while swimming to the anchor line (he had not yet
descended). The boat sounded recall and called the Coasties on VHF 16. A nearby
private boat heard the call, buoyed their anchor, picked up the patient and he was
underway before any of the divers had reached the swimstep. The patient was in the
hands of EMS about 15 minutes sooner.

Back
Top Bottom