Very unusual Drysuit. Photo!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

paperdesk

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Anyone seen or dived a side to side zip like this? A friend of mine is thinking about purchasing this suit. Looks kind of awkward. Thoughts?
01010_jvltXTPoLjs_600x450.jpg

Thats old school it is a front zip where you then wrap the excess zipper and suit around behind with the attached straps. I never dove one but have heard of them.

That makes sense. I wonder how easy it is to control bubble management.

Look at that! I had no idea. Thanks for the post, I'll check the Mares one out and see if I can find out how people liked it.

I dove a Typhoon drysuit exactly like that. Bubble management is no problem—and no different. The tightness of the suit around you is configurable: tighten or loosen the straps. It made for a very clean, streamlined suit. And unlike my DUI suit, it is truly able to be self-donned. (My DUI zips upward (backward?) and I can’t reach the last couple of inches at the top...) It also gets the zipper out from under the shoulder straps with the weight on them at the top.

All told, a perfectly fine design. Looks real silly when it’s not zipped up, and it makes it harder to wear the suit around your waist, but I never do that: I’ve broken zippers that way...

In short, don’t let that aspect scare you away from the suit. It’s easy to get in, and once you’re in, it will be just the same.

Thanks for all the replies! Guess there are more of these out there than I thought!

I have seen pictures. I understood that this design makes it possible for the suit to better fit a range of differently sized divers, making it good for a rental, a fire/police/public safety department, etc.

I would be a little wary about having that buckle against my ribs, possibly getting crunched under a waist band or weight belt. I'd have to try it before I could believe that was not a comfort problem.

Back
Top Bottom