Very shallow water breathing apparatus

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hey y'all, I am looking for some help. I work on boats and lifts , dive a maximum of 5 ft, and need to stay under for a few minutes (less than 5) at a time. Does anyone know of any economical or DIY solutions to breathe underwater long enough to work? My boat is always right above me.

I've been certified to dive for a long time and know that I'm not going deep enough to present major challenges, but do know enough (and have a little common sense) that there are probably right and wrong ways to go about this.

Thank you so much in advance

Bobby

Give "diy dive hookah" a google... lots of ideas out there... but I'm pretty sure I wouldn't dive more than few of rigs that I saw though lol

Check out this thread: $50 Harbor Freight hookah system testing

The guy even sent an air sample from his system off for testing to verify that it was safe. I think he later upgraded the compressor to something better than the harbor freight one - but still pretty cheap.

Funny I was reading that. Appealing, and certainly worth looking into...

Anything I can run off of 12v (without an inverter) or even powerless is also appealing. The Google suggestion got me in the right direction. Thank you both .

Would I need pressurization at 5 ft?

Research continues

That was a thought, but managing the tank (purchasing, maintaining, loading on and off the boat, and especially filling the tank etc) seemed more problematic. Although it would make the 1st and 2nd stages I have usable.

How shallow is it?

images.jpeg

Why not just a normal tank, modest first and second stage, and a l-o-n-g hose like the old double hose hookah (tank is up on surface)? Maybe a simple harness (weight and hose management)...

YMMV

I'm not gonna pretend to know much about regulators, but isn't a first stage supplying you with a certain pressure of gas, based on the ambient pressure around the first stage...?

That was a thought, but managing the tank (purchasing, maintaining, loading on and off the boat, and especially filling the tank etc) seemed more problematic. Although it would make the 1st and 2nd stages I have usable.
I think with the compressor method, you basically just connect a normal second stage to the compressor through a regular compressor hose. The output of a regular compressor can be about the same as IP for most regs.

I'm not gonna pretend to know much about regulators, but isn't a first stage supplying you with a certain pressure of gas, based on the ambient pressure around the first stage...?

Never used a scuba tank and regulator to fill a tire or run an air tool?

Ever seen a deco/safety stop hang bar supplied from tanks on the surface?

Back
Top Bottom