DIR- GUE Very large DSMB inflation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BlueTrin

Scallops aficionado
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I understand that DSMB inflation should be done orally.

But how do you guys go about inflating a large 6 footer ?

Even at 20m I think you would need probably at least two breathes (maybe more if not full breathes) to get it fully inflated at the surface, so you would need to dump air between each breath ?

I understand that DSMB inflation should be done orally.

But how do you guys go about inflating a large 6 footer ?

Even at 20m I think you would need probably at least two breathes (maybe more if not full breathes) to get it fully inflated at the surface, so you would need to dump air between each breath ?
I can't think of any reason why DSMB inflation "should be done orally", although it often is. I have a Halcyon 6' SMB which has a valve which can either be inflated orally or with a BC/drysuit inflator. When I'm in a location where I might need it, such as Cocos Island, the operators also want us to have something like a Dive Alert, so I add a 26" LP hose with a Dive Alert attached. It stays clipped off to my left waist D-ring until I need it. It's long enough so that I can get it away from my body while inflating the SMB, minimizing the chances of getting caught in a tangle. If you're diving dry, your suit inflation hose would work too. For an open-bottom SMB, you can use one of these: adapter-hq-air-nozzle-bc-inflator-qd-post

I can't think of any reason why DSMB inflation "should be done orally", although it often is. I have a Halcyon 6' SMB which has a valve which can either be inflated orally or with a BC/drysuit inflator. When I'm in a location where I might need it, such as Cocos Island, the operators also want us to have something like a Dive Alert, so I add a 26" LP hose with a Dive Alert attached. It stays clipped off to my left waist D-ring until I need it. It's long enough so that I can get it away from my body while inflating the SMB, minimizing the chances of getting caught in a tangle. If you're diving dry, your suit inflation hose would work too. For an open-bottom SMB, you can use one of these: adapter-hq-air-nozzle-bc-inflator-qd-post
I assumed that it should be done orally because it was taught this way in GUE Fundies.

Someone correct me if I am wrong.

I would have used a drysuit inflator.
Thanks for showing me the Dive Alert, I bet that must be really noisy when you use it :)

I have the slim Halcyon 6ft SMB. If I put a lung full into it (about as much as you would need to fill a 3ft SMB at depth) and shoot it after the gas switch at the 21 or 18m stop, it's full or full enough once it reaches the surface. If you'd have to shoot it shallower, put two breathes in and adjust buoyancy. Or use your drysuit inflation hose, although so far I've never seen the need for that.

I assumed that it should be done orally because it was taught this way in GUE Fundies.

Someone correct me if I am wrong.

I would have used a drysuit inflator.
Thanks for showing me the Dive Alert, I bet that must be really noisy when you use it :)
That link was to an inflator, not the Dive Alert. They are very noisy indeed, which is why I don't want one anywhere near my ear when activated.
dive-alert-signaling-device
(I didn't notice this was in the DIR forum, so I hadn't thought about oral inflation of the small SMBs in Fundies.)

That link was to an inflator, not the Dive Alert. They are very noisy indeed, which is why I don't want one anywhere near my ear when activated.
dive-alert-signaling-device
(I didn't notice this was in the DIR forum, so I hadn't thought about oral inflation of the small SMBs in Fundies.)
Yea I googled Dive Alert, I didn't use your link (sorry).

I use the bc inflator hose and absolutely hammer the big 6’ SMB. I was that chonky boi to be FULL when it hits the surface.

You orally inflate in fundies because it works for those baby SMBs people use in class, the instructors want to see that you can control said baby SMB, and it requires a bit of technique to manage the bag, the reg, your buoyancy, your position in the water, etc. Fundies has a lot of task loading and stress inoculation which helps makes complex tasks easier over time.

Shoot the 2m as deep as you can
Use the whip on your left post leftover from when you inflated your suit off of backgas. You don't want to disconnect your suit and use your limited leftovers from your 6cf of suit gas if you can help it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom