Very intersting reading here

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

very interesting and they even talk about the mega tsunami when Palma blows.

trouble is from what i have read else where and seen on nat geographic they have it well wrong.

the side of the island that will fall away faces the US so how can it only get a 15 to 20m wave and africa get 100m when it is the opposite side of the island?

is this site a US site, cos they aren't up to speed on their geography ;-)

clive francis:
very interesting and they even talk about the mega tsunami when Palma blows.

trouble is from what i have read else where and seen on nat geographic they have it well wrong.

the side of the island that will fall away faces the US so how can it only get a 15 to 20m wave and africa get 100m when it is the opposite side of the island?

is this site a US site, cos they aren't up to speed on their geography ;-)

Well, for starters, you need to check on a wave phenomenon known as refraction - or maybe they don't teach that in the UK :) Then you should look into what happens with the amplitude of wave as it travels. Bottom line, it will bend around the island and with a much shorter distance to travel arrive at Africa with a higher wave height.

Henryville:
Well, for starters, you need to check on a wave phenomenon known as refraction - or maybe they don't teach that in the UK :) Then you should look into what happens with the amplitude of wave as it travels. Bottom line, it will bend around the island and with a much shorter distance to travel arrive at Africa with a higher wave height.

having seen wave refraction first hand i am fully aware of it, but i am sure as it refracts and bounces off other objects it looses a little power africa would probably get the 20m wave, but a constant 20m wave as indonesia, between Palma and the US there is nothing (yet) to stop it so it will reach its maximum speed and wave height.

would love it to be 20m for your sakes, but some how i can't see it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom