Very disappointed with my DC800

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AussieLass

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I brought a DC 800 almost 12 months ago. I did an underwater photography course and was very happy with most of my pics.
However during a dive holiday to the Great Barrier Reef in Sept 09 the buttons on the housing were continually sticking and became impossible to use.
You can imagine how disappointed I was being in such a beautiful place and unable to take pics.
The company I purchased the camera from returned it to the importer who replaced the housing with supposedly a 'new' housing. However I debate this as the replacement already had a number of scratches and looked used.
I was using the replacement successfully for about 3 months when on a second dive of the day (without being opened) the housing flooded and totally ruined the camera inside.
After removing the water logged camera I tried to reseal the housing and the latch broke off in my hand.
I am very careful and meticulous with all my gear and the camera and all accessories were well maintained.
I am so disappointed I can't begin to tell you how much.
So now all I can do is hope to get a refund because I am not at all happy with the Sealife brand right now.
Just sharing my experience so you can take the good and bad reports when you are considering your next uw camera purchase.

I have posted this in the Sealife Station and it was suggested I also post it here.

Thank you for any feedback.

I feel your pain. I had the same expierence with a DC800. Despite following all of the manufacturer's instructions to the letter, the camera flooded the second time out. Upon returning the camera to SeaLife for testing, it was determined that there was nothing wrong with the housing and as such, it "must have" been something that I did wrong. Replaced it with an Ikelite housing and an over-the-counter camera which have worked flawlessly.

The DC800 is a low end camera in an inferior housing.

I haven't had any problems with my DC800. Had it since early '09. Great land and sea camera for me :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom