Vertigo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Divetropic

Reaction score
I recently flew to Hong Kong and back and on my return found that I suffered a dizziness in the morning when I stood up. It was almost as if I could not walk straight. I tended to move to the left. I visited a docto and he told me to take some Anti Hystamines???This did not help.
A few weeks later I went to South Africa and visited an old family Doc there who gave me some motion sickness pills to help with the feeling but told me he thought I had contacted a Virus that was causing the feeling of vertigo and that it would pass in a few months. This has happened but I am now fast approaching a trip to Thailand to dive over the Christmas holidays. Any suggestions on how to ensure this does not reoccur and if so what to do. There is no outward appearance of a physical problem.
Thanks for the help in advance.

I'm not a doctor, but if it was indeed a virual infection causing the vertigo and your immune system has adequately dealt with it I don't believe it should return unless you get reinfected with a similar virus.

DSSW,

WWW™

Here's another non- doctor's response.
I had a severe attack of viral-induced (so the Drs. said) vertigo about a year and a half ago. (No flights or travel were involved- it struck at home-in the living room-couldn't stand, walk open my eyes-spinning room,etc. A feeling that was very much [too much!] like seasickness).
The only thing that alleviated the symptoms was meclizine HCL (sp?), which turns out to be the active ingredient in Bonine (anti-seasick pills). If memory serves, I have seen meclizine listed as an antihistamine.
I haven't had any recurrence of the episode- and I have flown, and dove, on several trips since then.
I agree with Walter that if your situation was also viral induced,you will probably be okay.However, I must admit that I do keep the Bonine-or the cheaper, generic meclizine- handy, and take it if I have to fly or float. If nothing else, the peace of mind helps.
Hope your trips goes without incident,
Miked

I'm a pharmacist and not a doctor, but I get to see and help patients after the dr. has told them their diagnosis.

There are several known causes for vertigo and many more unknown causes.

** Infection is obviously one cause , lab work can determine whether viral or bacterial.

** Fluid build-up in the inner ear from infection there or even a sinus infection can cause a disruption in your equilibrium. If this is the case you will be unable to equalize when diving.

** Sometimes in older adults the fluid inside the semi-circular canals can become "mis-distributed"
so that your brain receives the message from receptors that your head is tilted when it actually is not and therefore interferes with your muscle co-ordination and balance.

Both Meclizine (Bonine) and Dimenhydrinate (Dramamine) are effective at blocking the Vomiting Center in the brain and therefore giving some degree of relief. Meclizine is less sedating and longer acting the Dramamine.

Also, the Transderm Scop patches which are applied (usually behind the ear) every 3 days can give longer relief, but are very expensive. Also, scopalamine causes your pupils to dilate which can be very uncomfortable in the bright sun (even when wearing sunglasses). Furthermore, if you do wear sunglasses and accidentally get some of the drug transferred from your ear piece directly into your eye it will REALLY dilate your pupils and will last about 3 days before wearing off.

Anyway, if your condition was due to a viral infection it shouldn't interfere with your upcoming trip. For added "insurance" get one of the above mentioned products to have on hand just in case.

Great diving,

Todd

Thanks for the input guys. I really am grateful and really happy to have got the responses.
I still have 10 days supply of the motion sickness tablets which I will keep for the trip.
Hold thumbs for me that it doesn't cause a problem.
Thanks again.
:p

Hi Divetropic,

I have experienced what you have mentioned 3-4 times in the past.

The first time I felt this I thought I was going to die, room spinning, cant walk straight.

I went to a neurologist and he diagnosed me with
Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo.

What is benign paroxysmal positional vertigo?
Benign paroxysmal positional vertigo, also called BPPV, is an inner ear problem that causes you to suddenly feel dizzy when you move your head in a certain direction or roll over in bed. You might feel like the room is spinning around in circles. You might feel nausea at the same time. The nausea and dizziness go away in a few seconds. BPPV is bothersome, but it won't hurt you.

What causes BPPV?
BPPV may be caused by a blockage of fluid in the balance centers in your inner ears. The blockage might be made of tiny "stones."

How is BPPV diagnosed?
Your doctor may suspect BPPV if you feel dizzy when you move your head certain ways. Several tests can help your doctor tell if your dizziness is caused by BPPV.

How is BPPV treated?
Your doctor can show you some easy head movements that move the stones causing the blockage. The movements of your head can stop the symptoms and may keep the dizziness from coming back. You may also be given medicine to treat the nausea and dizziness.

Hope this helps!

P.S. I haven't had it for a couple of years now, Thank God!!
I swear it's the worst feeling.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom