Vertical vehicle tank rack

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bradells

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Apologies if I missed this one in my searches (only found horizontal racks, or for pickup trucks)

Looking for ideas for making a minimal, but secure VERTICAL tank rack in the back of a small SUV.

I upgraded cars recently (...well, the last trip through the mountains, the half dozen tanks in the hatchback broke the suspension) and now I'm in a small SUV (Mazda CX-5)

With the hatchback, I had the tanks horizontal, with tubs of gear on top. Just made my trips for fills a little annoying removing everything to get the tanks out, and then putting them back in.

I'd be looking to secure (in the future):
2x sets HP130
2x AL80
2x AL40

(I'd currently only be taking 1 ea)

I've looked a bit at The UbiquiRack for scuba tanks, bikes, and anything else. One rack to rule them all. but that wouldn't quite work in the vehicles stock form.

I'm also thinking of a 'tank stand' solution, where the stand would double as a secure way to transport the 130's on a dolly (the one I have, it doesn't sit securely enough .. base isn't wide enough, and the tank contours don't quite fit that of the banded tanks.)

I might just end up with a way to stack the tanks horizontally in the center of the trunk (to keep weighting nicer) rather than all tanks to one side.

Thoughts?

BRad

first thing is to keep in mind the max payload which is 1000lbs, that includes passengers. Second thing is to try to keep the weight ahead of the rear axle, too much weight behind overloads the suspension, decreases braking ability and handling, so it is a major safety concern. I say that because just the tanks you're mentioning above are going to weigh about 400lbs on their own not including regular gear which is generally 40-50lbs, and two people which put it dangerously close to the payload capacity.

In something like the MX-5, you really don't want to be standing tanks up unless you want to permanently modify the vehicle, there just isn't enough room to engineer something that will keep the tanks stable during fast braking scenarios or tight turn and still have room for gear bins. Unfortunately you're best off laying them flat and putting the bins on top.
Shop Centrex Plastics, LLC Commander 27-Gallon Tote with Standard Snap Lid at Lowes.com
These are probably the best bins out there for scuba gear storage and they are relatively short so pretty nice for stacking in vehicles. Are large enough for a full set of cave gear. Nomad, jet fins, two regulator bags, reels, lights, etc. They also make 17 gallon ones which are nice for dry storage or for misc stuff storage

23026 Tank Rack

cratedocktims.jpg

Unfortunately, won't work with doubles

BRad

I also don't think something like that would work for a CX5 unless you cut down the length of the tubes.. You probably don't have the clearance to pull the tank up and out of the tube that high inside the car. I think you would be better off with a horizontal configuraton since you're using a CX5... Yes it might be a pain having to unload the gear on top of the tanks, but it would probably be even a bigger pain trying to get the tanks into the back of the CX5 in a secured upright position.

At least that's my two cents worth of opinions.. Good luck and be sure to post what you come up with if you figure something out!

Last edited:
I have a 24 tank rack built into the back of my sprinter. Holds 'em both horizontal and vertical.

Sprinter_4_.JPG

I do wish that I had cut the straps six inches longer for when I have a tank in a BC to hold. The rack is painted green with marine epoxy now and there are two shelves and a table top to work on.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom