Versatile fins for scuba and snorkeling.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Polar cat

New
Reaction score
Hello there. Apologies if the question been asked. I recently got my open water license and continued to use my Cressi Palau LAF fins for diving. Recently owner of one of the dive shop told me that I can get into trouble with snorkeling fins in the current and need to buy actual scuba fins.

Is there pair of fins that equally can be used for diving and snorkeling?

I've used Mares Plana Avantis for years in warm water. The ones I'm using are not made anymore, they hat something called Twaron in them. I love them.

I think the full foot Mares Plana Avanti Quattro is similar and people that I've talked to like them for a combo snorkel/dive fin in warm water.

Thanks for suggestions. Do they require boots / socks?

Thanks for suggestions. Do they require boots / socks?

I would recommend boots for any open-heel fin.

You could also take a smaller size and just wear socks to prevent scuffs but i find its not as comfortable .

A snorkeling fin tends to have a blade that is straight, while a scuba fin is usually curved plus has a larger surface area and other design elements to add power and efficiency. So I don’t consider any fin to be equally suitable for either use.
However, I would much rather snorkel with a scuba fin than dive with a snorkel fin.
Well... except that I would always prefer to be diving...

So shop for the dive fin you like and take it snorkeling too.

A suggestion would be Scubapro Go fins (not Go Sport, see below). They are advertised as an open heel fin that can be used barefoot or with sock/thin booties. Look for reviews on leisurepro etc.

The Go Sport is a nice scuba fin that could also be used for snorkeling (I have used it barefoot for light snorkeling), but the regular Go would perhaps be a better match for mixed snorkeling and diving needs, especially if you want to avoid using thicker hard sole booties.

Flexible scuba fins like Mares quattros are also ok for snorkeling, much better than a stiff scuba fin like OMS Slipstream or Jets in my experience.

You can get by with snorkel fins in the pool and for certification as you have, but the shop is correct in saying they can get you in trouble. Sooner or later you are bound to be in a situation where you need more powerful fins. Even if not you may find diving more enjoyable with less effort to get around. .

You can get away with pretty much any scuba fin to snorkel, even though they will probably be bigger than you might need or prefer. Fins that are at the extremes of positive or negative can be annoying when snorkeling, if your fins are always breaking the surface or dragging your feet down. Sort of depends how floaty (or not) your legs are. Buoyancy of fins can be something to consider for scuba as well, and you may want something different for that, so it can be a compromise.

What to get depends where you dive and maybe what your priority of snorkeling vs diving is. Going barefoot and not having to mess with booties can be nice for snorkeling, and is ok if you only dive off boats or benign docks and beaches. But open heel fins that require some sort of booty are more versatile - you're better off with real booties if you need to walk around much before actually getting in the water, like some shore diving. Using something with socks or really thin booties is a sort of compromise. They'll protect your feet a little, but will get ripped up quickly walking around much on any unfriendly surfaces. And it's hard to find fins in a given size that will fit properly and work both ways.

I agree the Scubapro Go fins are worth looking into.

I have the scubapro go sports, and while I like their maneuverability, I would not use them in a stiff current. Much like a stiff paddle fin, they can propel you but it takes quite a bit of kicking effort.

I've had good experiences with Cressi Pro Star fins using them as a combined scuba, snorkeling and even freediving fin. They are quite long, but light weight and very powerful.

Hello there. Apologies if the question been asked. I recently got my open water license and continued to use my Cressi Palau LAF fins for diving. Recently owner of one of the dive shop told me that I can get into trouble with snorkeling fins in the current and need to buy actual scuba fins.

Is there pair of fins that equally can be used for diving and snorkeling?

Yes, take a look at our freedive fins. We have a variety of materials and models and costs. All of these fins are used by scuba divers and free divers. I suspect your instructor is concerned that full foot snorkeling fins don’t have adequate power for pushing a scuba diver. This is not an issue for any of our fins.

https://www.makospearguns.com/Fins-s/68.htm

Thanks
Dano

Back
Top Bottom