VEO 3.0 draining batteries in a couple of days?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

afieldofblue

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Hello

My wife and I are currently working as dive instructors in Baja California Sur, Mexico, and her Oceanic VEO 3.0
dive computer is having a major problem:
battery is drained in a couple of days, even with the computer not in use...

We've tried both Panasonic and Sony batteries, all authentic and new, to no avail.

The computer is useless as is, completely unuseable...

I've tried to contact the only Mexican distributor listed on the Oceanic website, and they're asking for 150 USD to send it to the factory, plus shipping, so this is not an option.

Has anyone ran into a similar problem, and found a solution by any chance?

We do not have the computer interface for this computer. It worked fine before, but now keeps emptying betteries, even when not in use.

Thanks in advance for your help

ben

Thanks for the suggestion, I will. Not sure how to but I'll look into it.

Is the computer going into standby after a couple of hours as it should? Perhaps there's a button stuck or the water sensor is bridged? Try setting it to manual activation. Try soaking it in distilled water for a couple of days.

@scrane just came up with the same answer I found on my old Veo when it acted like that. The contacts that turn it on in the water were bridged. The computer didn't go to standby and ran the battery down. Aggressive soaking in fresh water, moving the computer in the water and changing water frequently fixed it. After that I went to longer rinsing and more frequent water changes and it lasted till the pressure sensor puked.

Bob

...I've tried to contact the only Mexican distributor listed on the Oceanic website, and they're asking for 150 USD to send it to the factory, plus shipping, so this is not an option...

Hi Ben @oppo

You might want to email for technical support TAC@huishoutdoors.com

If taking a look at the battery compartment and/or prolonged soaking does not work, you have another option. I assume the computer is out of warranty. Oceanic will replace the computer with a new or refurbished unit for $125 plus shipping Support » Service You can do it all yourself through the Huish Return Portal Returns I have experience with Oceanic after it was acquired by Huish and it worked flawlessly.

Oceanic computers are currently 20% off, Veo 2 $240, Geo 2 $280. They used to have a trade-in plan, don't know if that's still in effect.

Best of luck, good diving,

Craig

@scrane just came up with the same answer I found on my old Veo when it acted like that. The contacts that turn it on in the water were bridged. The computer didn't go to standby and ran the battery down. Aggressive soaking in fresh water, moving the computer in the water and changing water frequently fixed it. After that I went to longer rinsing and more frequent water changes and it lasted till the pressure sensor puked.

Bob

Hi and thanks - it was going into standby as far as I know, and it is soaked in fresh water everyday.
I'll try turning off the water activation and soaking it some more.

I've tried to contact the only Mexican distributor listed on the Oceanic website, and they're asking for 150 USD to send it to the factory, plus shipping, so this is not an option.

You teach scuba diving for a living, if you have to spend $150 to get your computer serviced then it's not an option it's your only choice. Consider yourself fortunate that the new owners of Oceanic are now servicing these perfectly good early model computers. If you look hard enough you'll find that $150 somewhere else that you really don't need to be spending it. Heck a good dinner out will cost you that much.

Err, thanks Caruso.
No, spending 150 USD + shipping to get this computer serviced is not our only option. It could be worth saving 150+ dollars to invest in another computer, especially a slightly more sturdy model for instance...

Because of problems we've had with both our Oceanic dive computers (recurrent display issues with my Geo 2 and now this battery issue with the wife's Veo 3), these two are now our backup computers, having invested in 2 Scubapro Aladin Sports Matrix a few months ago, that we're very pleased with so far.

But we do need these as back ups.
However, we're not too excited by the thought of spending more money on products which do not seem to hold on the long-run... We're also guiding a lot, and need sturdy products. So at the moment, spending more money on this is not an option, it's more a fix it or forget about it (and not make the same mistake in the future).

I hope this is clear, but thanks for the budgeting advice anyway :wink:

(PS I'm not sure that many dive instructors spend 150+ bucks on dinner, not in our neck of the woods anyway - but that's another story...)

Last edited:
Hi Ben @oppo

You might want to email for technical support TAC@huishoutdoors.com

If taking a look at the battery compartment and/or prolonged soaking does not work, you have another option. I assume the computer is out of warranty. Oceanic will replace the computer with a new or refurbished unit for $125 plus shipping Support » Service You can do it all yourself through the Huish Return Portal Returns I have experience with Oceanic after it was acquired by Huish and it worked flawlessly.

Oceanic computers are currently 20% off, Veo 2 $240, Geo 2 $280. They used to have a trade-in plan, don't know if that's still in effect.

Best of luck, good diving,

Craig
Thanks for the advice Craig.
At the moment we're not thinking of investing more money in Oceanic products, as they seem to be a little too delicate for heavy (professional) use.
I've had problems with my Geo 2.0 as well (display), and a 2 year old Shadow mask ripped under the nose, which unfortunately seems to be common with this model.
We'll see if we can fix this.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom