Error Venting about Forest Galante’s Shark Week diving practices

This Thread Prefix is for incidents caused by the diver, buddy, crew, or anyone else in the "chain".

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tracydr

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
North Carolina, 3 miles from South Carolina
# of dives
500 - 999
I was just watching a you-tube video by Forest Gallante discussing his production on this season’s Shark Week. I came away very annoyed,to say the least by his extremely careless diving safety,which he seems to laugh and even brag about.
He was filming in Japan and the day of his dive was “extremely ill with some kind of flu”. Chose to dive with a wetsuit (doesn’t appear very thick,he wears it to free dive in Southern CA) in 40 degree waters because “we like to have the option to discard are hear and chase after cool stuff if we see something since we also free dive. So we don’t use dry suits.
On the dive,he is extremely cold,shivering and runs completely out of air before 20 feet on his ascent. He had a severe headache and couldn’t warm up after the dive. He used the hot tub and drank alcohol when they returned to land.
His buddy ruptured a sinus on the dive and had a “face full of blood”.
He laughed about their adventures as if this was cool and all part of being a famous filmmaker/director/adventuree.
I’m frankly surprised that neither one of them ended up in a chamber,hospital or dead. I’m ashamed that somebody who is so famous and probably has nearly a million followers would act like this on a public video. He never once talked about how dangerous any of this behavior was except to say “you’re not supposed to run out of air”.
Anyway,I just wanted to vent. I’m sorry if I offend anyone. I really like watching Forest’s videos because he often finds some interesting and even thought to be extinct wildlife but I’m very upset by the flagrant disregard for diving safety by somebody who should be a role model for young divers.

by somebody who should be a role model for young divers.
You know he started on the show "Naked & Afraid" right?

Watched it; the other item I'd add is going out to set instruments when the captain told them it was a no-go due to weather. To me, when the guy driving the boat says it's unsafe that's final.

I get it, when you're on the clock and have work to do it's awfully tempting to push (I did two full days of snorkel surveys in the Indian River Lagoon recently right after falling off a pontoon boat and clipping the towing eye with my ribcage on the way down). Another, far more reputable scientist that I showed that video to commented he also got into a dicey weather situation on a Japan trip because he though popping just out of the harbor and doing a 10-minute dive to change out a moored instrument would be okay.

His whole persona is being a crocodile dundee macho Diver, so that makes sense.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom