Venice Fla dive boat capsized

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ed Jackson1

Reaction score
# of dives
I saw an article on line that a dive boat capsized Sunday off Venice Florida. All the divers were rescued wearing their gear. Does anyone have anymore information? Were they wearing their gear before the wave hit?

I didn't hear about that, but recently in Roatan, seas were so rough I suited up early even added a little air to my bcd, I think a few others did the same thing. So that story makes sense to me. :) :) :)

Here's one account, sounds like a scary ride. Wave swamped the stern?

Five rescued from Gulf after boat capsizes
By GINNY LAROE
ginny.laroe@heraldtribune.com
VENICE -- A Sunday morning dive trip turned into a nearly three-hour ordeal after a boat carrying five people capsized near Venice Beach.

Five divers aboard the boat were wearing wetsuits and flotation devices, which likely saved them from injury as they waited to be rescued from the waters seven miles off the Venice Inlet, said U.S. Coast Guard Petty Officer 1st Class Tasha Tully.

Two helicopters and several watercraft searched for the divers for more than two hours before a Sarasota Police Department helicopter located the capsized vessel at around 10:45 a.m.

Shortly thereafter, the Coast Guard located the dive team and pulled the five swimmers to safety. Another boat took them to shore.

"They all had flotation gear, so no one was injured," Tully said. "We always recommend boaters wear life jackets and carry proper safety equipment."

The captain of the 24-foot boat, identified as Karl McClintock of Venice, told officials a 9-foot swell overtook his boat.

Tully said those rescued were the captain and Venice residents Robin Smith, Michael VanBerkel, 33, and Katelyn Kraayenbrink, 21, and Nokomis resident Chuck Corwin.

None of the boat's passengers could be reached for comment on Sunday. The Sarasota Police Department also did not provide information on Sunday's rescue.

Tully said the captain of the boat that rescued the divers, "Not Her's, Mine," took them to The Crow's Nest in Venice.

It's unclear who made the 911 call at around 8:30 a.m. reporting the capsized boat, Tully said.

How deep was the water it sunk in? Are they going to leave it there? this could be a good wreck dive, albiet a bit spooky wreck diving on a dive boat.

glad everybody made it out ok. seems that there are several boats a year at Havasu that have waves (usually wakes) come over the stearn.

Seven miles out from Venice would be around 60'-70'.

"Two helicopters and several watercraft searched for the divers for more than two hours before a Sarasota Police Department helicopter located the capsized vessel at around 10:45 a.m."

Note it says capsized vessel, probably didn't sink, most modern boats are pretty hard to completely sink though it does happen.

Mike

Wonder if they got a dive in before they were rescued...:)

they should have left a note on the bottom of the boat (now the top) that read:

"dear rescue team, went diving, will return in 1 hour. Please wait or leave dingy.

Regards,

The castaways."

that way they could get in their dive. :)

LOL, That is a good idea to paint the bottom of the boat , I think I will write the words "RESCUE HERE" . I am in the process of building a boat and I am going to paint those words in florurescent orange against a black hull. Good Idea.

Back
Top Bottom