Vehicle Recovery Problem

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SRQCO

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
At 2am out team responded to a vehicle in the water complaint. The witness did not see anyone get out of the vehicle, so we were called to the scene. After conducting a anchor point we were able to locate the vehicle approximately 100 feet directly out from the tread marks. This particular lake is know for stolen vehicle dumps and it has been dove before. The lake is also 100% Zero visibility.

Everything was going to plan, and the tow truck had arrived. Now it was time to hook the vehicle up to the tow truck. This was the tricky part. For anyone who has hooked a cable up before, 100' of cable becomes really heavy. My 2am idea was to attach a series of 50lb lift bags to the cable at about 20' increments. This idea was successful, but it was also still difficult to swim that cable out to the car. To finish the story, it was attached and recovered. No one was hurt and the only thing that perished in the incident was my low volume atomic mask (I loved that mask).

Like every incident I brain storm afterwards to try and figure a much easier way to make this effective. I came up with the idea about 10am the same morning to develop a pully and rope system in which a 100' line (rope) would be attached. Then I could attach the pulley to the car. After that is complete I could signal to topside with a line signal that I am ready to pull the heavy cable with the line. This system would give me leverage that I didn't have by finning and it would make running the cable much easier.

I thought about just using a line and no pulley, but then I would have to anchor myself to the car to keep from just pulling myself in. The pulley would allow me to place my knees on the car and use my strength to bring the cable to me.

Herein lies my question. Has anyone done this before, does it work well, and is there a better way of doing this?

Thanks in advance for the comments, and like always if this is the best mousetrap I hope it will help others.

-Eric

At 2am out team responded to a vehicle in the water complaint. The witness did not see anyone get out of the vehicle, so we were called to the scene. After conducting a anchor point we were able to locate the vehicle approximately 100 feet directly out from the tread marks. This particular lake is know for stolen vehicle dumps and it has been dove before. The lake is also 100% Zero visibility.

Everything was going to plan, and the tow truck had arrived. Now it was time to hook the vehicle up to the tow truck. This was the tricky part. For anyone who has hooked a cable up before, 100' of cable becomes really heavy. My 2am idea was to attach a series of 50lb lift bags to the cable at about 20' increments. This idea was successful, but it was also still difficult to swim that cable out to the car. To finish the story, it was attached and recovered. No one was hurt and the only thing that perished in the incident was my low volume atomic mask (I loved that mask).

Like every incident I brain storm afterwards to try and figure a much easier way to make this effective. I came up with the idea about 10am the same morning to develop a pully and rope system in which a 100' line (rope) would be attached. Then I could attach the pulley to the car. After that is complete I could signal to topside with a line signal that I am ready to pull the heavy cable with the line. This system would give me leverage that I didn't have by finning and it would make running the cable much easier.

I thought about just using a line and no pulley, but then I would have to anchor myself to the car to keep from just pulling myself in. The pulley would allow me to place my knees on the car and use my strength to bring the cable to me.

Herein lies my question. Has anyone done this before, does it work well, and is there a better way of doing this?

Thanks in advance for the comments, and like always if this is the best mousetrap I hope it will help others.

-Eric

Why not carry the rope and pulley out, attach the pulley, swim the rope back in and have someone else pull the towhook out while you just swim. When the hook gets there, just attach it. Lift bags can still be attached to ease the pull. You could also use an extra long rope with the pulley already at the center point, swim that out, attach it, and have the support team pull the cable out to you.

You could even take it one step further. Have a 200' line with a hook equipped pulley at the 100' mark (I would use a floating line). One end is attatched to the tow truck cable one goes to surface support personel. Diver swims the pulley out, attatches it to vehicle, signals to shore, then people on shore (with leverage) pull their end of the rope to get the cable (float attatched to hook) out to the diver. As long as the hook is floated at the surface the rest of the cable is unlikely to snag on anything.

I am not sure how one would do it, but if you could get your agency to require that a truck with a dedicated recovery winch show up, there is a product called "Plasma Rope" that would fit your bill. That, or carry Plasma Rope with your recovery dive gear to hook to the main tow-truck cable.

If it pulls very large 4x4's up hills and out of deep mud, it should easily pull the poor-excuses for 'full-sized cars' they try to sell us today.

In addition, it should be much safer for the recovery divers' equipment (and hands) in that it won't have the frayed pieces of wire next to your drysuit and/or equipment while you are swimming / walking / crawling / diving.

I'm not a PSD, but one thing that came to mind immediately for me is that it seems like a bad idea to go with any solution that involves ending up with you trying to manage 100 ft. of rope/cable in what could be the mother of all rats nests -- in bad viz. The 200ft + pulley seems like a better idea since tension can be maintained, and the excess will be managed safely on shore.

We have used the pully system for years. Diver takes a small 1/8" cable about 6' long attached to the safety line with him. Hooks it onto the vehicle then comes back to the starting point. Then the tow cable is attached to the line so surface tenders can pull the tow cable to the vehicle. Then all the diver has to do is hook the cable to the vehicle and leave.

KISS and cheap

Gary D.

My recovery experience has primarily been in deeper water farther from shore where lift bags are used to float the vehicle and then tow it closer to shore. But when it grounds on the bottom a cable still needs to be run out and attached to the vehicle.

A simple pully system with a much easier to handle line is a lot easier than dragging a large cable.

we always use a working line when bring any gear into the water, be it cable and hooks, or a lift bag or whatever. We have to keep it literally idiot-proof. Diver swims down with a nested working line, ties it to the car, follow the line back to shore ensure it is free from obstructions, hook the tow hook on to the line and bring it down. There is no effort, just swimming along the line, sliding the hook along

It is a little more swimming for the divers.., but I'm all about bottom time anyway :^)

In the psd world let me state I have never found a greater group of well meaning,brave and selfless individuals in my life. the links we will go to in order to effect a rescue or recovery mission is mind blowing. With that said lets reflect on ourself and our team and take a minute to look at our roll in psd diving.

most teams have little or no salvage training i have heard of teams that rig and blow bags while on a auto and in the water with it. (you dont know what you dont know)
but try to get training funds for a salvage class rite guys and gals. so here are a few guide lines that should help you safety.
  1. remove all divers from the water prior to any lift
  2. closed cell bags should be used in the 1st ata only(this will control air expansion x2 easy math)
  3. quick connect air lines to surface for air control even if you dont have an air block you can use a stop watch and flow rate restrictor to give you good control
  4. keep all work in front of you in zero viz lines can get away from you and entanglement becomes a real concern rig one point at a time and handle one line at a time (slow is smooth and smooth is fast.)
  5. no salvage rigging or recovery should take place without full team support and communication gear( without comm how will you know your diver is ok .(you expect him to stay in one place and breath and have movement on the tender line) so how will we know if he is working or pulling on the tender line. just a question you have to answer
  6. in dark/night hours do hasty checks for victums and dont do salvage recovery you can check for persons but dont move the salvage untill daylight( yes we as psd are use to zero viz but our topside support( helo for fly outs, heavy equipment needed, med crews) are not and all there capabilities are demenished and made less safe in the dark. if we are going to sent divers into harms way lets keep in reserve the ability to have the best chance at getting them back should something go wrong. why change our lsp ( last seen point)we have a two ton marker and the risk of night salvage outweights any benifit except saving a life)
just a couple of things i hope give you food for thought if anyone wishes to contact me off list my cell is 7706527401 buck PSD IT 25 years diving 15 PSD and still learning.

sorry about spelling dame it Jim I am diver not a writer LOL:rofl3:

REMEMBER COURAGE THROUH KNOWLEDGE AND SKILL TROUGH TRAINING

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom