Vegetarians?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've been a (lacto/ovo) vegeterian for 14 years. It's been pretty easy for me; I can't imagine ever changing. I also love Indian food. It's nice to have so much choice in a restaurant and the flavors are so savory! Don't forget about eggplant parmesan, either!

Also, do you have a Trader Joe's near you? We just got one here in the Hartford area and I am quite impressed by their non-meat, pre-made meals.

Oh yeah, then there's cooking from recipes and stuff....

Just wanted to chime in, i'm a huge/b] fan of trader joe's!
Whenever i'm in Long Island I always make it a point to get some food there, they have some the most eclectic, esoteric range of food that i've ever seen!

Btw, i've heard that they're opening a store in NYC now..
Should note that i'm not a vegetarian..

Jamdiver, that's ok. You're welcome to put in your two cents worth too. I wish we had a Trader Joe's locally...maybe soon. I love their chocolate truffles.

I'm not a vegetarian, but my son has been for years and he does pretty well. Well, he eats seafood and dairy, so technically he isn't a true vegetarian. He never liked meats, so it fits well in his lifestyle. It is harder to make sure you get the protien you need in your diet, but there are plenty of plants that have protien, like soy and other beans. Good luck. Just not something I would want to do.

I would eat fish if I weren't allergic to seafood, but pescetarian isn't an option for me. I'm kind of weird in my tastes anyway. I'm the only person in my circle who actually admits to liking Vegemite, tofu, and legumes. I do have to admit that I'm missing my usual Friday afternoon lunch of chicken fajitas, but I'll manage.

I've been a vegetarian for 35 years...more vegan (no dairy or eggs) for last 10 years.

It is so easy, and healthful, and most of all it is in keeping with 'cause the least possible suffering' perspective.

Imagine: Slaughterhouse of anguished animals vs a field of corn. Which makes your mouth water?
:confused:

When a truck full of cattle or hogs passes you, do you get a hunger pang on the way to eat your double beef burrito? Do you blame the animals for the stench, or the abusive and cruel transportation and storage techniques?

A vegan diet will also contribute to maintaining a diver's hydration. As complex carbohydrates are metabolized, energy and WATER are released.

Metabolism of meat requires water, potentially leading to increased risk of DCS and other problems.

A carnivorous diet will yield significant dividends: obesity, cancer, atherosclerosis, heart (less?) disease.:( and a more hazardous dive.
:coffee:

I'm often asked (occasionally at the dinner table--RUDE) "Why are you a vegetarian?" or naiively "How do you get your protein?"

I have a standard answer..."It's a personal choice", and will repeat that phrase as necessary at the table. Asking these questions, during a meal, is often designed to ostracise and challenge a person not in lock-step with the majority.

If asked at locations other than the table, I avoid protracted discussions (most people don't REALLY give a s**t about animal suffering), but I will simply state:

"When I pass a slaughterhouse truck full of frightened animals on their way to being butchered, it makes me sad. Other animals want to continue living and protect their young as much as human animals. I have found it to be very easy and healthy to be a vegetarian"

Recommend a book or two, and avoid a debate.:D

When I dive in Bonaire, and marvel at the beauty of underwater creatures I am unable to understand how another diver could want to kill and eat them!

Giggi:
... I'm the only person in my circle who actually admits to liking Vegemite, tofu, and legumes.

Gigi,

I share your tastes. It depends on how you prepare those food items. I have heard of people tasting RAW tofu, and then saying "UGH!, forget tofu!" compared with preparing it with curry, red pepper, and green onions, served with fried potatoes.

Tip: if you get the fast food urge, visit WENDYS for baked potatoes. I have mine with only chives...lots of chives. Fills me up; very low calories, and is an excellent fuel!
:D

tonka97:
Gigi,

I share your tastes. It depends on how you prepare those food items. I have heard of people tasting RAW tofu, and then saying "UGH!, forget tofu!" compared with preparing it with curry, red pepper, and green onions, served with fried potatoes.

Tip: if you get the fast food urge, visit WENDYS for baked potatoes. I have mine with only chives...lots of chives. Fills me up; very low calories, and is an excellent fuel!
:D

Ping for those divers with fat-clogged arteries and tires around their mid-sections.

Normal body weight is EASILY maintained with a diet based on fruits, vegetables, legumes and grains! (if compassion alone is insufficient for healthier food choices)

My dive buddy and I are both vegan-vegetarians . . . we'd love to be on a live-aboard dive boat with other vegetarian divers.

We've been on 3 live-aboard dive boats, and each time, the other divers have made harsh remarks about our eating habits and also about the fact that we don't drink alcohol. We're hesitant to go on another live-aboard because of the strangely-harsh reaction our eating and non-drinking seems to bring about (even though we absolutely never talk about our vegetarianims or sobriety, and NEVER push it on other people).

We try to be very civil members of the liveaboard community, but for some reason, all three times we've endured gossip and rude jokes about our lifestyle.

Has anyone else had this type of experience?

We are feeling that we should try to organize a live-aboard dive boat for vegetarian divers.

Aloha,
Dee

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom