VDH Wing Choice.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ghost95

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hello all.

I'm slowly updating gear and I'm looking at a VDH wing (when they come back in stock). I'm torn between the 23lb and the 32lb models. Anybody want to share an opinion.

I normally dive a steel 72 or Al 80. The future may hold a steel HP100 or HP120.
3mm, 1 piece wetsuit with a hooded vest when colder. I do occasionally dive a drysuit, very occasionally.
12 to 13 lbs weight on a belt.

Thanks for opinions and discussion. Have a good day.

Personally, I'd choose the 32lb, more wiggle room if configuration changes requiring more ballast. Can't imagine size being that much different, well, not enough to have real world noticeable differences. I'm sure an expert will be along shortly, or even the makers of...

If I could only have one wing it would be a 32lb. As said above slim as can be and enough lift for most situations.
I use a 40lb for cold water and the 18lb for tropical.

Thanks guys. I was kind of thinking the same thing. I didn't know about drag or anything but they seemed so close in size I wasn't sure.

i have the 35 lb wing, have used it with AL80s and HP100s with no problem. Great wing. He has size comparisons on the website and the 35 is only a little bigger, worth it to get the 35 as your all around single tank wing. DGX sells a 30lb one that gets good reviews as well and is a little less expensive and in stock.

I just got the 23 VDH wing a couple of weeks ago for my warm water rig (3mm, AL plate, steel 72). It's a great looking wing, although it hasn't been in the water.

I also have the HOG 32 wing for my cold water rig (7mm, SS plate, steel 72). Also a great wing, also hasn't seen the water yet....

If I could only have one wing, it would be in the 32-35 range for lift, so it would hit most of my needs...

I just got the 23 VDH wing a couple of weeks ago for my warm water rig (3mm, AL plate, steel 72). It's a great looking wing, although it hasn't been in the water.

I also have the HOG 32 wing for my cold water rig (7mm, SS plate, steel 72). Also a great wing, also hasn't seen the water yet....

If I could only have one wing, it would be in the 32-35 range for lift, so it would hit most of my needs...

I know the feeling. I have a DAAM that I just finished the rebuild on and 2 Mk 10's. None have seen the water yet. Will probably be January in the springs somewhere before anything gets wet.

I don't know if the design has changed, but my HOG 32 is really wide.... I prefer the OxyCheq/VDH/DGX.

I absolutely love my 18# for warm water diving, and the 30/32/35 is more than enough for single tank wet suit (and dry) up to HP120 steel singles.

Back
Top Bottom