Varius Compressor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fwall

New
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I need some advice and/or direction. I am looking at buying a compressor rebuilt by AIr Specialties in California in which the owner tells me all I need to make it a SCUBA compressor is a Scuba filter. It is a Varius model PAC4.5EIV, Block number 88/0644/03 ( not sure why he gave me the block number ) which is supposed to be some form of a Bauer. Should I even be considering this deal, where will I get the filter? By the way its a 220 volt, 3000 rpm, 4500 psi. The current owner used it for paintball guns. Please help.

Sometimes, people refer to a filter cartridge or insert as a "filter". You need clarification on that before we can answer. There have been previous threads discussing the Varius which is relatively unfamiliar to me, personally.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/search.php?searchid=7032561

He was considerate in giving you the block number should you need to consult with Bauer concerning this type compressor.

Does the model of the filter holder help? Its a 43a1-1

I also don't know much about the Varius, they were very small (about 2 CFM most modern portable compressors start around 3.5 CFM) portable compressor sold by Bauer around 1980 and only produced for a few years. I would have a couple of concerns about this compressor, first would be parts availability since it had such a short production run also paint ball people often pump to 4500 psi, high pressure operation tends to shorten compressor life expectency. Filtration from that era is questionable, I have a 1978 Bauer Purus (3.2 CFM) and the filter that came with it is only about half the size of the P21 filter stack that Bauer currently uses on their portables. (note many people complain that the P21 is too small for practical use as filters must be changed every few hours of operation). Due to portability concerns I bought a P21 to add inline with the old filter stack on my Purus purus a while back, the cost was around $400 (filters are about $37 each). There are any number of other 3rd party filters that could be retrofited both cheaper and more expensive than the P21 depending on your need.

Fwall, you need to ask these filter questions elsewhere. Cartridges may be available from Bauer any of the distributors of Lawrence Factor (or other) cartridges. It's like when you go to Auto Zone for an oil filter, they have compatibility charts. Call Bauer for the OEM filter no. Mention the block no. It's too early to start a discussion of add-on filter canisters. Pictures would help.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom