Vanuatu Earthquake

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This was months ago. There are earthquakes in Vanuatu every few days, lots of them big ones. If you go there, likely you will feel a few even on a week or two trip.

I'm a geomorphologist Michael, loving it here and hoping to have a little shudder. For anyone who doesn't like quakes, which I believe would be most tourists just think of them as the earth having a little burp. If you are truly worried by the possibility of quake damage choose your accomodation to suit - local timber will sway - concrete and glass multi story buildings on the other hand are not your friend. For anyone curious you do not feel them underwater - I dived through an 8.6 in Sumatra a few years ago and enjoyed the 8.2 a couple of hours later sitting on the pier. AFAIK there is no Padi earthquake diver specialty :wink:

Back
Top Bottom