Vancouver Island road trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mtbrider

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Guys! My girlfriend and I are doing a road trip to Vancouver Island and we'll be there pretty much all week. We plan to go from Victoria to Nanaimo and also over to Tofino. I have a couple questions:

1) What are some good shore diving sites to visit? There are so many! Ogden point is good, yes? What else?

2) Is a dive flag required for shore divers? If so, what does the flag need to look like?

3) How about dive shops for fills, any recommendations?

4) We'll be camping in our Westfalia, any nice campgrounds, especially for diving?

I'm really looking forward to it! If anyone wants to meet up for lunch or diving that would be fantastic too!

Thanks,
Ryan

For camping and diving you can't beat China creek. You can dive right off your campsite (if you pick the one near the wall)
What year is your Westy?

Hi Guys! My girlfriend and I are doing a road trip to Vancouver Island and we'll be there pretty much all week. We plan to go from Victoria to Nanaimo and also over to Tofino. I have a couple questions:

1) What are some good shore diving sites to visit? There are so many! Ogden point is good, yes? What else?

2) Is a dive flag required for shore divers? If so, what does the flag need to look like?

3) How about dive shops for fills, any recommendations?

4) We'll be camping in our Westfalia, any nice campgrounds, especially for diving?

I'm really looking forward to it! If anyone wants to meet up for lunch or diving that would be fantastic too!

Thanks,
Ryan

For camping and diving you can't beat China creek. You can dive right off your campsite (if you pick the one near the wall)
What year is your Westy?

Wow, diving right off the camp site, that's practically utopia. :) I will check it out, thanks!

My Westy is an '86, it's a great divemobile. I put an EJ22 engine in, along with a bunch of other mods. This road trip I'll be testing a front bumper/cargo carrier I made and a grey water tank.

Uh-oh, you got Wedivebc started on VW's....(I'd insert a smiley here, but I don't do them).
1) Shore dives: If you're going to be in Victoria Ogden Point is good (the farther out you go on the Breakwater, the better in my opinion). Ten Mile Point probably has the most invertebrate life in town, but is very current-sensitive (the current table correction is Race Passage minus 15 minutes). I don't know what time of year you'll be here, but if it's any time other than Spring, Saanich Inlet can have fantastic visibility (50-100 feet). I like McKenzie Bight for a shore dive.
There is also some great shore diving in the Nanaimo area. I like Neck Point and Jesse Island.
Just North of Nanimo in the Nanoose/Parksville area are some more popular shore dive sites. I like Madrona Point and Dolphin Beach.Blueback Park (also known as Tyee) is good too. The Nanaimo Dive Outfitter's Forum Has some good info and maps for the local shore dives.
If you take a short ferry from Nanimo to Gabriola Island, there are some great shore dives there as well. Orlebar Point is the most well known.
Wedivebc mentioned China Creek in Alberni Inlet near the town of Port Alberni. It's sort-of on the way to Tofino. I've camped and dove there before, but it was years ago. The two main dives there are China Creek Wall and the Migrant Wreck.
I've never done any diving in Tofino yet, but I intend to this year. There are spots to get in the water, but they can be very weather-dependent (this is the open ocean). You can get in the water more easily in the protected Tofino and Ucluelet harbours, but there might be issues with all the marinas, boat and seaplane traffic. When I was there recently, the water in the harbours looked pretty murky, but there was a storm going on. There's also a dive shop in Tofino that runs boat charters.
2) Other than dive shops running classes, I've never seen a dive flag/float being used by recreational shore divers. I sure as heck wouldn't use one. I can't imagine dragging one of those things through a kelp bed against a current. They make great boat magnets too. By law, recreational divers don't need one. Commercial dive boats and dive charter boats I think are required to fly them.
3) There are several dive shops that do air fills all over the Island. In Victoria there's the Ogden Point dive shop (right at the Breakwater dive site). There are also at least 4 other dive shops in the Victoria area.
Nanaimo has Nanimo Dive Outfitters and Sundown Diving (there might be more, but I don't know of them).
Port Alberni apparently has a new dive shop and I'm assuming they do air fills.
Tofino has Ocean Planet Adventures.
4) I'm not big on camping myself (people invented houses so they could stop camping) so I'm no expert on Island campsites. If you do a Google seach for British Columbia Provincial Parks, most of them have camping. The only one I know of that's right on the water near a dive site in this area is the China Creek campground near Port Alberni (If you don't mind driving on a gravel road).
My website on the link below has lots of other photos and reports from many other dives in those areas.

Wow, diving right off the camp site, that's practically utopia. :) I will check it out, thanks!

My Westy is an '86, it's a great divemobile. I put an EJ22 engine in, along with a bunch of other mods. This road trip I'll be testing a front bumper/cargo carrier I made and a grey water tank.

When you coming? I'd like to have a look. I have a couple of VWs too.

1) Shore dives:
That's fantastic info, thanks a lot! Even included hyperlinks...

2) Other than dive shops running classes, I've never seen a dive flag/float being used by recreational shore divers.
Great. We don't use them here either, thankfully. My girlfriend said she read that they were required, that's why I asked.

4) I'm not big on camping myself (people invented houses so they could stop camping) so I'm no expert on Island campsites. If you do a Google seach for British Columbia Provincial Parks, most of them have camping.
I've been camping at a few BC Provincial Parks and they are generally excellent and low-cost.

When you coming? I'd like to have a look. I have a couple of VWs too.
We're going to be there this coming week! Maybe not the best time for diving (river runoff, but hopefully before plankton bloom) but I'm recently unemployed and I'm seizing the moment. I'll send you a PM with contact info.

Thanks again guys,
Ryan

There's several nice campgrounds out along the Pacific Rim NP, between Ucluelet and Tofino. We stayed at one years ago right on the water, just south of Tofino, that was very nice ... I believe it was Surf Junction, but don't recall for sure.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I live in Port Alberni and I know china ceek, so if you want some pointer on were the wreck is just send me a message..

I''ll bet you could hook them up with a good dive shop in Port Alberni:wink:

We're in Nanaimo now. It was great to meet with you Dave and thanks for all the info! We really appreciate it.

We dove at Madrona Point this afternoon. It was a very nice dive, the vis was great, at least 30 feet. We didn't make it to the dive shop in time for fills but we're heading there tomorrow morning. I think tomorrow we'll do two more shore dives around Nanaimo.

Back
Top Bottom