Valve rebuild kits for bank bottles?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Eric Sedletzky

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
My dive shop needs to have the valves rebuilt for their bank tanks. Does anybody know a source for service kits for those types of valves?
Everyone just wants to sell a whole new valve, but the owner wants to know if someone might have a few kits around. He’s not on SB so I told him I’d ask around.
Here’s what they look like.

Attachments

• IMG_2202.jpeg
    IMG_2202.jpeg
    96 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_2201.jpeg
    IMG_2201.jpeg
    99.3 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_2200.jpeg
    IMG_2200.jpeg
    97.6 KB · Views: 40
Those look like Sherwoods. The bottles themselves need major love. If the tops look like that, someone definitely needs to VIP the bottoms and elsewhere for pits and corrosion too.

As a general rule, it's cheaper to...
Send the bottles out for hydro, have them steam cleaned at the hydro shop after passing, have the hydro shop blast and repaint them, have the hydro shop install clean new valves to the proper (insane) torque.

Bring your fully refurbished bottles back and reinstall them into the bank.

you can rebuild them, John at Northeast Scuba Supply has the kits, but I'm kind of with @rjack321 that you are probably best to take those to get hydro'd and just have them replace the valves during hydro. The replacement valves are crazy cheap compared to the hassle of rebuilding them. I'm not usually one to get uptight about bank bottle hydro's, but those ones look like they should at least be checked out....

I'd rebuild them, provided that the tank and valve threads are not worn out of spec.

Valves come in oversizes. This is because as the threads wear from taking them out and putting them back in, the number of turns (not torque) required to seat them to spec might not be possible to achieve. I replaced a few of mine for that reason during their last hydros. For those tanks and valves, the first oversize is near the top of the turn spec, so the next time (or two, or three times) they come out they can go back in.

That said, new valves were not crazy expensive when I last bought them.

They look like 580 valves from a cursory glance. You can rebuild them. Aplus marine and northeast scuba supply both sell the parts.
I don't rebuild them, It is a $17 valve when I have it replaced at hydro. The parts cost more than that and I would still have to do it.

I rebuild and O2 clean usually without kits

125 006a (1).jpg

then use a stilsons farmer prevention tool

but then those bottles ain't goin nowhere

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom