Valve leakage with FDX10 at a couple of ops

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

iamasmith

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi, I had a problem with my FDX10 A clamp version at an op in Dahab recently.

I just couldn't get a good fit on the tank and was getting a hiss every time I started the air. The O ring looked good and slackening off and re-tightening didn't seem to solve the problem.

The op wasn't willing to spend any time sorting it out since they weren't an Oceanic servicer, instead they gave me a Mares regulator to dive with over the time I spent with them so I got 12 dives in without problems on the Mares reg but missed having my usual wireless integration (since their first stage only had 1 HP port and they couldn't even move my Suunto module).

I had problems also on Kos on a previous trip but tightening and slackening the A clamp a couple of times seemed to sort it out.

I went back to my local dive shop after getting back and they tried the regulator on a few of their tanks and there were no such leaks. They mentioned that they had received anecdotal reports of folks having similar problems with Apex valves on tanks in the red sea but without seeing the problem they could only guess that either there was a subtle difference in the tank insert or that the insert was recessed more into the valve and was making a bad connection.

Since my diving is mostly resort diving using the resort operator I considered the best course of action was to get the unit converted to DIN and then carry an A clamp adaptor. I don't enjoy carrying that extra hand luggage only to be told it was a waste of time to bring it :S. This solution of course is a little irritating though since one of the main selling points of this regulator is the dry valve technology and I'm going to lose that with the DIN conversion.

So, anyone had similar experiences?

-Andy

Happens quite offten,take a look at your DVT.
There're 2 versions,(On the DVT) and 3 kinds of yoke :shakehead:
1 with a white bullit (US version)
2 with a red bullit (continental EU version)

When the dive op uses AL80 tanks with sherwood valves,it just won't fit.

Hope it makes sence.

Mine is (was) the EU red bullit type.

So, sounds like the DIN conversion/A adaptor is probably a good move given I really don't have any control over what tanks I'm going to get.

Cheers 300bar.

I'm not that fond of adapters.
But you could ask your dealer,if they can get hold of the US part as well.
I have one and excange when ever needed.

I was thinking more of switching and diving with DIN. I agree I don't really like the concept of extra parts but carrying one may save some hassle if for some reason the op can't handle DIN.

Din is allways the better choice.:rofl3:
But with the adaper you'll have the same problem.
Yoke + yoke=3.:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom