valve ID please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stepfen

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
After about 2 years of use, the neck o-ring of my pony tank started leaking.
The tank is an MES 7lt aluminum one and the valve is the one that came with it when I bought it.
I remember reading somewhere that the neck o-rings used by this factory are of very low quality and they disintegrate within a couple of years (!) especially if used with high O2. So my time has come.
Btw my tank have had only 2 fills so far by me: one with air when I bought it and another one with 28% nitrox (continuous flow blending) about 6 months ago.

1635760844768.jpeg
1635760873717.jpeg

I could replace just the neck o-ring but the knob is becoming stiff too hence I am thinking to service the whole valve.
The problem is I don't have the slightest idea of what kind of valve this is. Can somebody identify it and point me to a service kit or something?
In particular I would be interested to know if internally it uses just o-rings (that I can potentially clean, inspect and reuse), or does it use copper gaskets etc that need replacement.
Any info welcome.
Thanks a lot!

It is a standard M25X2, EN144-1, 232 Bar valve. Nothing special about it. The tank neck/valve o'ring is a standard o'ring.

Connect with this guy and he will help you (They are in Cyprus) or go to your local dive center for service. It isn't rocket science:

@Scubagaskets

Mate really just pull it apart clean it up and buy some orings for it

It is a standard M25X2, EN144-1, 232 Bar valve. Nothing special about it. The tank neck/valve o'ring is a standard o'ring.

Connect with this guy and he will help you (They are in Cyprus) or go to your local dive center for service. It isn't rocket science:

@Scubagaskets

I am servicing my own gear (few valves, few regs etc) hence I know that (usually) it is not rocket science.
Problem is that I am using this tank quite often, hence I want to minimize downtime. Finding "special" parts where I live can take time, so I would prefer to know what parts might be needed before I start.
Cheers

I forgot to mention about scubagaskets. It is quite probable that eventually I will not need any parts (the valve is quite new - I should be able to reuse the parts) hence, knowing I will probably won't buy anything eventually, I hesitate to ask/disturb professional people.

You are going to have to replace the o'ring and if you are going to overhaul the valve, there are few parts that need replacing.

Ok, fount it. Valve is a Polaris 12144 (it was written on it - silly me).
Here is the schematic:

1635797838913.png

All parts should be reusable or easily sourced locally.

Thanks a lot

If you are loading nitrox, you will want an oxygen compatible O-ring material (like Viton). Tank neck O-rings are usually specified to be a hard grade of rubber (like 90 shore A Duro) & not the usual soft (60 Duro) material that you normally find at a hardware store. You want the correct size, material & hardness. All 3 matter.

I would need to measure the counter-bore diameter & depth in your tank neck before knowing what size O-ring would be proper for that tank. There are a few different possibilities where I live. The presumptions that others have made about size may be correct. I don't know.

Back
Top Bottom