Valve drill issues with drysuit undies

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Marie13

Great Lakes Mermaid
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
This is a spin off of my tech class thread as I wanted this to be stand alone.

I need to pick your brains on valve drills and drysuit undies. Had my first class dives for TDI AN/DP/Helitrox this weekend. It was a disaster with regards to valve drills. I couldn't do them. Not enough give in the undies.

Background: I have a Fusion Fit (women's version) drysuit. Discovered in the pool over the winter that the hard neck ring for the replaceable neck seal severely restricted shoulder movement (I have narrow shoulders and ring covered most of my shoulders). I had the neck ring removed and latex seal glued on in place. I was then able to do valve drills in the pool, but only with thin merino wool undies. Pool was heated to 80F and too hot to wear my thick under suit. I've been using a Thermal Fusion, but it fits so closely that there isn't any extra to allow for the required arm movement to manipulate my valves. I found this out two weeks ago on a quarry dive.

I went into my dive shop and talked to my tech instructor who also works in the shop. The shop is a Fourth Element test center, so there are Arctic one-piece suits and X-Core vests to rent for dives to try them out. I would buy the two piece. However, only the one piece was for rent. So I tried that with the X-Core vest under it in the shop and I had more range of motion than with the Thermal Fusion. I was fine with the warmth of the X-Core under the Arctic. Fast forward to my class dives this weekend and being unable to do a valve drill with the Fourth Element.

I've briefly talked to a few people and the consensus is that two pieces are better for mobility. Before I plunk down for the Fourth Element Arctic separates, what undies have you found that are warm AND stretchy? I dive the Great Lakes, so temps would be around 40F/4C at depth, give or take a few degrees. Due to the stupid plague (as I refer to CV-19), I missed six weeks of practice for class that I would have otherwise had (local quarry opens early April), so this issue would have otherwise been discovered well before class. My drysuit is not the issue. Undies are. Thanks!

It was your first try. Keep practicing. I learned to dive doubles in a 7mm uncompressed neoprene drysuit with a back zip and wet gloves in Canada. That’s pushing against a lot of fabric and neoprene to reach those valves. I got stronger and better and was able to do it. First try is not failure or solving new skills with more gear.

I use the Arctic top with thick running tights and sweatpants below. Same idea as two pieces. Range of motion is pretty reasonable.

Also went with the artic with 4th element with cabelas thermal underwear. Best setup for maneuverability.

However I dove with a Pinnacle single piece for several years and learned 2 things when doing valve drills:

1. When driving your vehicle or in one, do the stretch exercise with the seat rest.

2. Dont be afraid to inflate that drysuit to gain some ease on the shoulders. If the squeeze isnt what's doing it, then I assume that the straps on your set are not proper fitting for your profile.

These things are what helped me reach my valves to the point I could do it on singles.

Also went with the artic with 4th element with cabelas thermal underwear. Best setup for maneuverability.

However I dove with a Pinnacle single piece for several years and learned 2 things when doing valve drills:

1. When driving your vehicle or in one, do the stretch exercise with the seat rest.

2. Dont be afraid to inflate that drysuit to gain some ease on the shoulders. If the squeeze isnt what's doing it, then I assume that the straps on your set are not proper fitting for your profile.

These things are what helped me reach my valves to the point I could do it on singles.

Fourth Element Arctic separate top/bottom?

I stretch daily. I inflate my drysuit. The problem has been the damned undies. If there's no give to the undersuit, there's not a danged thing I can do to reach my valves. You can see the lack of mobility on land, just in the undersuit. Dang thing clearly has no give to it.

I can do the valve drill in the pool with thin undies. The difference is the undies. I've not just attempted it once, but multiple times with the undies that don't give. Loose straps, tighter traps, etc. Damned frustrating.

Crochet something? Crocheted doilies have lots of stretch. Might be a new market, here.

Sorry my typing was slower than my thinking.

Fourth element artics both tops and bottoms. Then I use thermal long johns from cabelas and it works miracles. I think I paid $500 for everything so not bad considering.

Consider a heated vest also for our region. I got that cheaper than the underwear! Valve and everything.

I would see if you can try a set of Arctics before you by them. My wife finds the two piece is too bulky around the waist , which also causes some discomfort.
If you like them and you're the right size, my wife may make you a deal on hers, she looking for a one piece

I would see if you can try a set of Arctics before you by them. My wife finds the two piece is too bulky around the waist , which also causes some discomfort.
If you like them and you're the right size, my wife may make you a deal on hers, she looking for a one piece

I tried on the proper size top/bottom at my dive shop. Liked them fine.

Undergarments that fit on the looser side may help. It's possible your drysuit may also still be contributing a bit more than you think, especially if the sleeves are not long enough or allow for the girth of cold water gear. This is longer than you need for most other diving motions as the arm material moves more than most imagine when reaching back. It's made worse with thick undergarments as they take up some of the slack. If those UGs are tight they restrict movement too and together make even more difficult. Another factor is if the overall length of your DS torso doesnt allow for additional movement it will restrict the arms. The Fusion doesnt have much additional torso length. The body position when reaching for valves can use up a lot of play in the entire suit.
:)

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom