Vacation in Avon August 18-25, 2018 - Charter for shallower wrecks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

button

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi everyone!

My hubby (buddy) and I are going to be in OBX (staying in Avon) from the 18th-25th. We'd like to charter a trip or join a boat for the week that we'll be down there. We each have about 30 dives and our AOW (max depth has been to 80') but we primarily dive in tropical conditions a few times a year. We always go to a quarry to practice skills if its been more than 5-6 months before dives, but since it's our first time diving the OBX/Atlantic, we'd like to take it easy and hit up a shallow wreck or two - nothing deeper than 60'. It looks like there are a few shallow wrecks like Hesperides and Northeastern nearby.

Anyone have any suggestions about how to best accomplish this? Just charter a boat and put the word out here that we're looking for more divers? I imagine some trips get blown out in August.

Thanks in advance! :)

Hi everyone!

My hubby (buddy) and I are going to be in OBX (staying in Avon) from the 18th-25th. We'd like to charter a trip or join a bo areaat for the week that we'll be down there. We each have about 30 dives and our AOW (max depth has been to 80') but we primarily dive in tropical conditions a few times a y
ear. We always go to a quarry to practice skills if its been more than 5-6 months before dives, but since it's our first time diving the OBX/Atlantic, we'd like to take it easy and hit up a shallow wreck or two - nothing deeper than 60'. It looks like there are a few shallow wrecks like Hesperides and Northeastern nearby.

Anyone have any suggestions about how to best accomplish this? Just charter a boat and put the word out here that we're looking for more divers? I imagine some trips get blown out in August.

Thanks in advance! :)
There are two good operators in the Morehead City area. Discovery and Olympus Diving. But when I google mapped them they are still 4 hours away from Avon. You can check out their websites for their dive sites. Discovery Diving - NC's Diving Headquarters - Discovery Diving of Beaufort, NC and Home - Olympus Dive Center. I also found an operator named Dive Hatteras (DiveHatteras.com - NC shipwreck diving at it's best!) that is very close to Avon but I don't know anything about them. Let us know how your diving goes.

Win

Both JT (under pressure) and Dave (lions paw) out of hatteras will gladly take divers to the inshore wrecks if desired....most are 60-70’.

Roanoke island outfitters would be a good bet north of the shoals though if that’s what is desired.

I agree that the trip to Hatteras would be better and also agree that if you want the shallower
wrecks that they would be able to accommodate you . August is a great time for travel in the
Outer Banks . I have also heard good things about Roanoke island outfitters . You can not go
wrong with diving in the summer in OBX . Warm water , good visibility , and great food !
Sea Dwellers
www.seadwellers.com

Thanks everyone! I talked to hubby and he agreed that we will likely try to charter something for a mid-week dive and see if we can fill up the boat, since our stay is Saturday-Saturday. We have an almost 4 year old who might get freaked out when he wakes up his first morning in a strange new place without mom & dad! Hopefully the weather will be perfect and we won't get blown out that week!

Just an update now that we are a month out, we got some practice in the freezing cold darkness of Dutch Springs a few weeks ago and dove to 70' and were comfortable apart from the cold, so I am thinking that with hiring a DM guide we will be comfortable enough to do up to 75-80' now that we've gotten more practice, we're up to about 40 dives each now. We are planning to go with Roanoke Island Outfitters even though they're about an hour from where we're staying, since they do half day trips and it looks like they go out every day. That way if we get blown out, we'll have some other days that we can try. I've also refocused on getting in shape and that's helping my confidence both in and out of the water. Will report back!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom