V-planner questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jcaplins

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
For those that have experience with V-planner in its computer, ipad, or V-planner live versions:

Is there any difference in the dive plans generated when the same dive is calculated from all 3 versions?
Are there feature differences between the computer version and the ipad version? Any features missing from the ipad version?
Can you plan a high altitude dive from the computer or ipad version?
I'm considering getting the ipad app, as it's half the cost of the home computer version, and portable.

I have a Liquidvision X1 with V-planner Live on it. I have no problem running a dive plan on it, I just don't get some of the niceties of a desktop computer interface.

Here is a simple example of what I am talking about:

From my home (near sea level) I want to plan a dive in a lake at an elevation of 7000 feet. The planned depth is 145 feet. Let's say 30 min at depth. Deco gases are EAN50 and 100% O2.

On the X1 (using V-planner Live) I can't change the planned altitude. I run the dive plan and it spits out a some stop depths and gas consumption numbers. All fine and good, but these deco times are not valid for a high altitude dive. I can then run the program again for a theoretical depth of 190 feet, but it's still not going to be correct and the gas consumption calculations will be way off. For accurate planning, my X1 would physically need to be at altitude to do the proper calculations.

Will the v-planner for ipad or home computer versions be able to take altitude into consideration?

I can pencil whip all the planning I need to, I just want to know if these programs can do it and if the ipad version has all the same functions.

Thanks,
Jeff

Is there any difference in the dive plans generated when the same dive is calculated from all 3 versions? Not to my knowledge, only diff is UI

Are there feature differences between the computer version and the ipad version? Any features missing from the ipad version? No

Can you plan a high altitude dive from the computer or ipad version? Yes, update alt in config tab

I dont know live nor have I worked with it, but I assume the planner will use the current alt setting on the DC once you start planning. Thus if you are at alt the planner will use that input. Not sure if you DC have auto alt or manual settings??

---------- Post added September 26th, 2013 at 08:26 PM ----------

If you have copy of v-planner on pc you are eligible for free version on iPad if I am not mistaken. Dont quote me, drop them an email.

As ajduplessis stated above, the PC version of V-Planner does take elevation into account when making its dive calculations. The user is able to set the following parameters:
- "Dive elevation";
- "Hours dive elevation"
- "Ascended from";
- "Travel time";
- "Average elevation last 2 weeks";
- "Depth meter calibration: sea level/altitude".

I haven't seen the iPad version, though, and I can't comment on it.

Thanks for the responses.
The X1 is auto altitude, no manual settings possible.

Looks like the ipad and home computer require their own license key/fee. bummer.

from V-planner site:
-----------------
Registration groups: The same registration details may be used to unlock other install belonging to one diver within the same registration group. i.e. Desktop / laptop / Mac / PC: 4 keys per registration per year. For Pocket PC/Mobile and Android: 2 keys per year. All future program updates are free.

The registration is divided into groups, and each group requires its own registration and fee.

* Desktop - PC, Mac, Linux, (4 keys per year)
* Mobiles - Android, MS Mobile, (2 keys per year)
* iPhone, iPod, iPad (via Appstore only)
* X1 programs.
* DR5 programs.

---------------------------------

So, if the ipad version is identical to the desktop version, I may go with the ipad version for no other reason than portability.

Any ipad V-planner reviews/complaints/comments?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom