UWATEC Smart Pro dive computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

iainwilliams

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
A number of you already know that I recently purchased two Smart Pro wrist modules. After much research into the new dive computers , and now first hand experience, I thought it pertinent to list an evaluation. Please understand that this is MY evaluation only. I am not endorsing UWATEC or Scubapro in anyway.

First, if you are thinking of purchasing a Smart Pro I high recommend you download the manual from www.uwatec.com. This manual is exactly the same as you get in the box. Print the manual, read it and study it. Also download all the other information about Smart pro from the UWATEC site. They also have a neat demonstration that you can run which is interesting and may help to explain some things. Read the manual first.

I decided on the Smart pro mainly because I like the decompression algorithm. Algorithms are NOT all the same on every dive computer. Learn about the different mathematical models, how they work, and how they affect the way you are diving, or should be diving. The Smart pro uses Professor Buhlmann’s algorithm developed in Switzerland. I like it because it is conservative. I also use DCEIM tables which are conservative.

OK enough banter – lets get down to the nitty gritty. Once again this is ONLY my opinion.

ADVANTAGES

Conservative algorithm
Proven track record of reliability as UWATEC computers evolved from the Aladin to finally the Ultra and Smart.
Large screen with clear digits
Backlighting when needed (user operated)
Replaceable screen if and when it becomes scratched
Great elastic wrist strap which is easy to get on and off. The strap holds the computer very snugly to your wrist – good with drysuits
Changeable user interface using Smart trak software
Infrared technology
99 logged dive log (ultra is less)
100 hours of dive information (ultra is less & you need expensive memo mouse)
Can be used for nitrox and air (changeable from the actual module)
CNS toxicity warning
Bubble suppression (can be turned off and on as desired) (ultra does not have this)
Completely revamped computer chip (Ultra used older Aladin chips that have been upgraded)

DISADVANTAGES

Computer module is NOT in a rubber soft casing – it has a plastic housing
Manual can be very confusing to read and understand
Smart trak software does have bugs (about 3, I believe), although I have not had problems with it (so far)
Bubble suppression is to be desired – I think this excellent idea could be better developed

DISCUSSION

I like the Smart! I like the way that the bottom time and decompression (if required) is controlled by the temperature of the water – this to me is added conservatism. As said above, I also like the algorithm.

I do not like the bubble suppression and I am very glad that this can be turned off. It would appear after using bubble suppression all it does (despite the advertising) is shorten the dive time depending on which level you are using. Level 0 is off, whilst level 1 to level 5 will alter the available bottom time drastically. A problem may develop when (and this has been mentioned on another thread) bubble suppression is turned on. As you dive, the available bottom time indicated by the computer will slowly decrease (10 minutes, 8, 5, 3, 1 until 0 minutes remaining) until it is time to ascend. The problem arises when bottom time zero is reached, Smart will then indicate the depth that a level stop is recommended (for that bubble suppression level) and the time that should be spent at that level. Smart may also indicate a number of deeper levels stops to be preformed with their appropriate times. However, Smart will not provide you with a time that you can actually stay at that level depth! You just do not know. It will only read the depth and time needed to stay at that depth before moving onto the next shallower depth and time.

By not giving a count down of available time at the level stop, a diver can move into decompression. Experienced divers may not find this troublesome as they usually have enough gas available, but newer divers may not realise the downside to this. Of course, you must remember that by using bubble suppression mode, the profile you are diving is much more conservative than if you were diving without the bubble suppression activated. Therefore, the decompression time in reality is what I call “pseudo deco” in that if you were diving without bubble suppression it would not be required.

As mentioned earlier, I will not be using bubble suppression. Rather, I will add “fudge” factors to the dive times (shorter bottom times, added deeper stops, 100% O2 out-gassing at 4m (PO2 no greater than 1.5) and longer safety stop or decompression times). All computer users should do this in my opinion.
I did have a problem working out the dive planner, it just did not make sense to me (I am probably thick). A quick call to scubapro solved the problem – I misinterpreted the manual (easy to do – so be pre-warned).

I really liked the ascent rate indicators. They are large and easy to use and give a percentage with 100% being the ascent rate required, plus 100% being too fast and below 100% being slow, but OK. If you ascent too fast you will activate the bubble suppression indicator, which can affect the time needed for your surface interval before your repetitive dive. Once again a nice conservative feature. If you don’t want the suppression indicator to activate – don’t ascent too fast. It’s simple.

I also like the CNS% which is easy to read. Although probably not really an issue on standard air dives (unless plus 200 fsw or 60 msw), it is VERY handy using higher percentages of oxygen. The CNS provides an excellent CNS warning, and if ignored the Smart will beep and flash at you until you ascend to a shallower depth! This can be altered using Smart Trak

SMART TRAK

The software is new to me. I like it, but as with all computer gadgets I always seem to have problems. My problem has not been in the Smart Trak software, but rather with adding a infrared dongle to my PC running Windows XP!

The software provides and ideal medium in which to study your profile. You will be very surprised to learn whether you actually did spend 5 minutes at 4 m or 3 m, as it gives very accurate depth read outs in graphical form. This is an excellent tool to improve your diving and ascent rates! It also provides a logbook and other features which a computer savvy diver may like. Personally, I log all my dives in a log book – not a PC. But the world is changing!

Smart trak can also be used to alter Smart. You can change the alarms, depths and CNS levels and various other features. I like this very much.

COMPARISON

I debated for many “moons” over the Smart or the Ultra. I don’t really want to provide a comparison here as this has been duplicated in other threads. But, the main differences is that the Ultra is the old computer chip which will not be upgraded (Scubapro said this to me). The Ultra has less logged dives and less dive time that can be recorded, necessitating the purchase of the memo mouse for those travelling divers that do 20 dives in a week! The Ultra has a smaller face and has the older style plastic wrist band. The Ultra is not infrared, but a fly by the wire data transfer. The Ultra does not have bubble suppression, but still uses the same algorithm based on temperature controlling the dive time. For the added expense and ease of use, I think the Smart is a better investment. Scubapro have indicated that the new chip in the Smart can be flashed to change the data, which is great if UWATEC decide to alter the bubble suppression features sometime in the future.

I hope this helps someone, somewhere at some time. It does not cover everything I know, but I don’t want to write a book here either! So far, from my experience only, I give the Smart by UWATEC the thumbs up. Dive safe Iain

:)

Back
Top Bottom