Uwatec Bottom Timer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mahjong

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
How long could the battery be expected to last in storage without any usage? If one is in storage for 8 or 9 years, how long might the battery last after it is put into regular use?

Thanks.

Not much longer. A few weeks at least....Maybe more?

Lithium batteries are generally considered to have a maximum 10 year shelf life. Some last longer. Some don't. Despite manufacturers claims, it is real hard to actually test shelf life as their decay is not linear. At some point they fall off the cliff. The cliff may happen tomorrow or in a year or 2.

Your timer has been powered for 8 or 9 (or more) years. So the battery has been gradually consumed and is now reaching an age where an unused battery would not be put into service.

Since these are disposable timers you may as well just use it until it dies. Just make sure you have another backup timer.

Fwiw:

image.jpg

I believe someone had posted it somewhere on how to change the battery of Uwatec bottom timer. To cut open the case is no easy operation!
I had one died(11 yrs old and less than 400 dives) on the dive but I always carry two.
You never know when the battery has reached the end of its working life!! Always carry a back-up.

bottom timer or computer?

Based upon my interweb trolling I think that the bottom timers turn into pumpkins as soon as the battery dies (conjecture is that some calibration parameters are held in RAM and not NVRAM).

On the other hand, the early uwatec computers are gold. Battery failure is not an issue for the fearless (stupid?). I have a small stable of recused dead Uwatec Aladins that do not require heroic efforts. They can easily be resuscitated from the dead. I think Bottom timers are different. Once dead, they remain dead.

I could be wrong. Often am...

i agree that i have seen an online video that illustrated live battery replacement before the battery went dead. Fringe case, not worth the effort, Unless you can do it,.

Looks like a rainy day project, nothing to lose if it's about to die anyway.
If I have a lathe then I will definitely try it on my 8yrs old(Uwatec bottom timer) NEXT yr!!!
The 330m model does has low battery warning.......If the remaining battery charge is 10% or less of the initial charge, the battery symbol will appear on the display for 10 secs. In this case, the unit must be replaced immediately.
Can't remember if the old model has this function.

Last edited:
I've heard this computer is much bigger than it initially looks in pictures online. Can anyone tell me the size, weight and screen size of the unit?

Cheers.

---------- Post added August 1st, 2014 at 12:26 PM ----------

Also, what is the warranty on it?

Back
Top Bottom