uwatec aladin prime - ok to use or replace?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi,

I hadn't been diving for several years but have now moved to Bali Indonesia. I have started diving again using hired gear from the dive shops.
Back in Australia I have my own equipment. Because it hasn't been used of about six years it will need servicing. my main concern is the computer.

would a 12 year old Aladin Prime which has sat in a cupboard for the last 6 plus years be ok. Is a service enough or should I replace as a matter of course ( or safety )?

thanks for any advice

No comments :-(

Can I ask if it would be safe to try and worst that could happen is it breaks? I could use manual dive tables as a safety backup, does this sound sensible?

Typically the risk to any electronic device left sitting, is that the battery corrodes and takes the computer guts with it. If that hasn't happened, I would replace the battery, check the battery compartment o-ring and either replace it or lube and re-use and away you go. (Assuming you can do that... I'm not familiar with that specific computer.)

Newer computers will have more features perhaps but they aren't really doing anything "new" other than the deco algorithm may be a little more sophisticated. Assuming you're doing recreational dives, there wouldn't be a huge advantage in these newer algorithms.

Coincidentally, I just came across an old Dive-Rite Nitek trimix computer last week. It's still running fine after maybe 8 years. I've since replaced it with Shearwaters, but I'm doing some 225' mix dives this weekend and I might strap it on just for comparison.

My intent is to toss it on eBay and for what I'll get for it, it'll make a great little first trimix computer for someone.

My Uwatec Aladin Pro Nitrox is 22yrs old and is still my work horse. 12 yrs is pretty young.
I am pretty sure you will need to change the battery(DIY) and replace the O-ring as well. Of course you can use table as back up but then you will need a timing device to do that. A basic nitrox computer is pretty cheap nowadays.

My suggestion: replace the battery and the O-ring, buy an inexpensive computer and have the table in your save the dive kit.

One of the drawbacks of this series is that the remaining battery life indicator is woefully inaccurate. The manual states that even when it displays 0% you should be good for a few more dives. Mine died at 38% remaining life and I've heard others have as much as 47% when the battery died.

I believe the Aladin Prime had a significant battery problem. My battery life was fine on the original battery. Each time I replaced it (with a high quality cell) the battery life dropped drastically. By the third battery, it wouldn't last a week! I heard this was a 'class problem' but I never got the details.

I replaced it!

Uwatec warns against using any other battery than the original Uwatec, saying that the capacity will probably be lower and result in a shorter life. The problem is that it's not very easy (impossible?) to find the original CR-07. I've been using the SAFT LS 14500 but I haven't used them long enough to know for sure. Any particular battery models/brands that are known to be less reliable? I just "saved" two Tadiran batteries on eBay mainly because they are a direct replacement with the same connectors for my oil-filled Aladin Pro plus they are 2 for $10. Anyone tried these yet?

Is that one of the oil-filled models? I doubt anyone ib Bali can replace the battery or get the o-ring. Maybe have it serviced in Oz first although I believe many dealers just send them to ScubaPro - not sure what they do with them.

Guys you really need to take into account the production date of the "new" battery. If you purchase something that has been sitting on a shelf for years, it no longer matters that it was a quality cell when it left the factory. I very much doubt that the original Uwatec battery had some magic specifications.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom