UW Sports Seattle - Requiring 6" Nitrox Sticker ---ARRRGH!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Blackfish

Registered
Reaction score
Despite living only a few blocks from this store, I doubt I will ever darken the door of this place again. It is bad enough that they never remember me---wait, how could they, when the staff must turn over multiple times per year, because I've never seen them before either. The only person I ever recognize there is the owner.

Anyway, today they refused to fill my tank with nitrox because the nitrox label wasn't 6 inches tall---I bought the tank from 5th D & got a 2 inch high nitrox label. The quote was "my manager won't let me fill nitrox tanks unless they have a 6 inch label anymore". I believe that the 6" nitrox label is a PADI requirement, but it certainly isn't a DOT or an dive industry standard. I didn't ask, but I'm sure they've got 6 inch high stickers from $20.

Rant over--I feel better now. Oh, wait---one more thing---tanks aren't supposed to feel nice & warm after filling.

Don't feel bad -- Bubbles was the shop that insisted on my 6" Nitrox stickers. I loathe those things.

Fine ... so get these ones. They satisfy the requirement ... and tend to piss off the people with no sense of humor ...

StickersAll.jpg

Despite living only a few blocks from this store, I doubt I will ever darken the door of this place again. It is bad enough that they never remember me---wait, how could they, when the staff must turn over multiple times per year, because I've never seen them before either. The only person I ever recognize there is the owner.

Anyway, today they refused to fill my tank with nitrox because the nitrox label wasn't 6 inches tall---I bought the tank from 5th D & got a 2 inch high nitrox label. The quote was "my manager won't let me fill nitrox tanks unless they have a 6 inch label anymore". I believe that the 6" nitrox label is a PADI requirement, but it certainly isn't a DOT or an dive industry standard. I didn't ask, but I'm sure they've got 6 inch high stickers from $20.

Rant over--I feel better now. Oh, wait---one more thing---tanks aren't supposed to feel nice & warm when you bonk them up.

I don't think I want the guy who needs a 6" sticker instead of a 2" sticker filling my tanks anyway...... I go to UWS only under duress. I had an al80 filled at the everett UWS once. I swear they took maybe 30 seconds to fill it from 1000-3000 PSI. Pretty sure the tanks not supposed to be hot to the touch. They didn't seem to think it was a big deal.

In this case, I suspect the person doing the filling didn't make the policy ... that would've come from the store manager.

On the other hand, there's no excuse for a hot fill ... unless you told him you're in a hurry ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Thanks for the laugh Bob. I'd love to put those stickers on my tank, but somehow I think that would just lead to more issues---getting gas in Seattle wouldn't be a problem, but I'm sure some well meaning Canadian kid wouldn't get the joke.

The guy filling the tanks didn't make the policy---he started off his statement with "my manager". It just doesn't leave me feeling a whole lotta loyalty to my LDS. Loyalty is a two way street & I just don't get that warm fuzzy feeling that anyone has my back at UWS.

I agree completely with the sentiment expressed above about hot fills & usually go elsewhere for gas.

Cheers all!

Why couldn't they have picked different colors for the nitrox labels? Gack.

Hi. I am the guy at underwater sports who wouldn't fill your tank. I am sorry for the confusion about the 6 inch sitcker. I talked it over with the person in charge of all fills and he said that we can allow tanks with the two inch bands. It is a policy that has just recently been enforced and there is still some comfusion on what is allowed. Also if you would have stayed and talked to me about it instead of storming off and writing stuff on the web I would have given you a free nitrox sticker (they aren't $20). So if you do ever come back into our store I will pay for your fill myself and if you have a problem then you should talk to me about it first. By the way my name is Tyler and if you introduce yourself I will remember. Once again sorry for the misunderstanding.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom