UW Photography Courses

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

adutto

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Guys,
For a while I've been looking for a course/training the is oriented to underwater photography. When I say this I clearly mean a course given by photographers, not the ones that the certification agencies give you as a specialty. I want something that will show me (for ex):
- Photography theory in depth
- Photography best-practices
- UW Photography Best Practices
- Digital post-production

I mean, something as complete as any other photography course for "land people :)" but applied to diving.

Anyone knows such a course?
(If you don't I'm giving you the edge to develop one :wink:)

Happy Diving and clicking!

Reef Photo video has a large number of classes and workshops both in Florida and around the world.

i will also be heading the workshops at Digital Fiesta in Cozumel in April 2013, a very cost effective way to learn. To find out more go to Mexicandiver.com

Phil Rudin

Check with Cathy Church at Sunset House in Grand Cayman. They run the type of course you seek every week and I believe they cam customize to your needs.

Also the Aggressor fleet runs one week " Mike and Mike" courses about three times a year at different locations, one is always the Caymans. Two well respected Underwater Photographers come on board and teach exactly what you listed.

Both the above have websites. There is also Reef Photo and Backscatter and Wet Pixel

Tim at Fish Eye Photo in Bonaire was awesome. We did not get into post photo editing as I can work my way around photoshop but he taught me a ton about diving while taking photos, as well as photography theory in general. I really liked him and from class to end of my trip, my pics improved 10 fold.

If you have the time and money, Brooks Institute in Santa Barbara will get you a complete photographic education with underwater photography as part of the curriculum.
Bill

I know a number of well-respected underwater photographers run workshops -- here's an example: Alexander Mustard

A friend of mine has done a number of them, and has felt them to be great learning experiences.

If you have the basics down and are looking to get past roadblocks in your development, then I'd suggest the book by Martin Edge. The underwater photographer fourth edition covers all of your topics. Most people will say shoot, shoot and shoot some more. I did this and have learned via trial / error, asking questions and reading. I wish I had the book I'm suggesting 5 years ago. Scott Geitler also has a really nice website: Underwater Photography Guide

w

Where are you located? The best thing to do in my opinion is to become proficient on land before going underwater. Its much easier to master the basics of phototgraphy when you don't have to worry about running out of air.

Many community colleges have good courses taught by professionals, not UW people though. But you can master the basics of photography and the digital darkroom, then take that knowledge underwater.

If you already have the basics down and have some experience underwater then an UW workshop would be great. But you won't learn the basics of underwater photography as fast or painlessly without first learning the basics on land.

If you are in the Michigan area feel free to contact me and I help however I can.

Andy

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

Guys,
For a while I've been looking for a course/training the is oriented to underwater photography. When I say this I clearly mean a course given by photographers, not the ones that the certification agencies give you as a specialty. I want something that will show me (for ex):
- Photography theory in depth
- Photography best-practices
- UW Photography Best Practices
- Digital post-production

Hi Adutto, If you are in Asia, I run regular UW photo workshops. I can do 1-on-1 or you can join a group workshop either land only or including the diving to practice what's learnt.

I have workshops that cover the entire range of what you mentioned above.

My workshops are focused on the theories & principals of photography which can be applied to both compact and dSLR camera. All my own UW photos are shot only with compact cameras too.

Full workshop details are here: Untitled Document
Testimonials for each workshop is here.

Cheers,
Alex Wu

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom