UW housing for my new D40x ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Why not buy the Fantasea housing for the D40x? I am also interested in buying a housing for my D40 at some point but would like to buy a cheaper option if there isn't anything wrong with it. It looks like one could buy the Fantasea housing for $1050 vs. $1400 for the Ikelite and even more for the Aquatica. Also, isn't it an advantage to have a transparent housing so that you can see leaks immediately? I'm a total newbie to underwater photography so would really appreciate any advice.

If the opportunity is available, look at Fantasea and Ikelite side by side to compare the design, features, and whatever else you feel is important. I compared the two and remained happy with my Ikelite purchase.

Another factor is which ports you need, which is determined by what lenses you will buy. Fantasea's product range is not as broad as Ikes.

Last, what is your strobe strategy. If you like Ike strobes, then the Ike housing particularly makes sense. If you are looking at other strobes, then Fantasea may be more viable.

Last, search the boards for discussions on the two companies. Although the posts may not be about your particular camera, you can get a feel about each company, their designs and their customer service.

Last, cost may play a small part (plus Fantasea comes with free insurance for a year). For you total dSLR rig, the couple hundred dollar difference between the two is a small amount compared to cost of the entire setup.

After that, get off the fence, buy something, take some pictures, and post them on ScubaBoard!

David

Disclaimer: I have an Ikelite housing for my D80 and Ikelite strobes. I have never owned anything buy Fantasea, although I have looked at it.

Why not buy the Fantasea housing for the D40x? I am also interested in buying a housing for my D40 at some point but would like to buy a cheaper option if there isn't anything wrong with it. It looks like one could buy the Fantasea housing for $1050 vs. $1400 for the Ikelite and even more for the Aquatica. Also, isn't it an advantage to have a transparent housing so that you can see leaks immediately? I'm a total newbie to underwater photography so would really appreciate any advice.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom