UW camera, where to start?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaBB

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi All,

I'm thinking about buying an UW-camera. Of course I've search on the internet.
I found out to things;

1. they are much cheaper in the US then in Croatia
2. there is so much to choose that I don't where to start.

Could anybody advise me.
Thnx

Best to start with your Budget. Do you have a camera? Or do you have to buy everything? Do you shoot on dry land, if so what kind of camera do you use? How often do you dive? Where do you dive? Do you like Macro or Wide Angle?

That should get things started. But knowing your Budget will help narrow the field

Hi mjh,

Thanks for your quick repond.
The simplest question I will answer first, by budget is €300 (probably in dollars around $430).
I do have a simple compact digital dry camera, so I only need for UW.
I dive often (100/year), mostly in Croatia.
And I like simple camera, no links with extra light, it must fit in BCD pocket.

Thnx for help

The panasonic TS3, don't go below 15m with it. Don't use the flash, so only use in very sunny conditions.
I have the TS2, it's a great all-around camera that you don't have to worry about on the beach (sand).

However, be prepared - your pictures will be quite blue the deeper you go.
The next step would be housing kits, that allow you to go deeper and use a strobe / flash.

If you can find one, look for a used camera. I could in no way afford even the most basic decent UW camera, but my connection to the local dive community allowed me to get a used cannon elph with housing for $200 from $650 new. Also consider getting a waterproof camera in a depth proof housing to start (a tip from a mentor). That way even though the optics are not great, when you make a mistake packing it you will not fry the camera. Then at least you can build confidence knowing a mistake won't cost you $500+ for a new camera body.

Panasonic sells a housing for the TS3 to be able to go deeper - but trust me - you won't even like the results at 15m !!!

Using the flash will simply light up all the particles and bubbles, making your subject the background. Messy.

To be able to do nice pics further down, you need a strobe or a very strong LED flashlight to light up the subject. Then a housing for whichever camera you want to use.

Higher end cameras with interchangeable lenses let in more light than the tiny camera, thus a better picture.

Within your budget - I just bought from SpyderTC a nice starter kit:
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/cl...397435-olympus-sp-350-camera-accessories.html

For anything below 10m you'll want to use an UW flashlight to light the subject so your camera can focus on it.

Another for sale, more expensive though :
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/cl...ea-sea-housing-lens-port-extras-included.html

Even though the Canon 300d has a "lower" megapixel CCD than the Olympus I just bought, the Canon has better optics. Thus bigger, bigger and more expensive housing.
I didn't buy the Canon because that kit still needs a strobe for deep dives, extra costs, and was over my budget of this year.

Buying used is a great investment, as you can resell after 2-3 years for at least half of what you bought it for.

International shipping Air is around 80 USD, and consider using PayPal.
Sometimes there are nice kits on this board, or on eBay.

Happy hunting.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom