UW Camera Upgrade

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jorgette

New
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I've been diving with a Sea&Sea 1200hd that I "borrowed" from my dad for quite a while. I love it and have been taking beautiful pictures with it, and even selling some of them, however, the camera/housing/batteries are 10 years old, discontinued, and hard to find emergency spare parts for. I'm ready for an upgrade. I'm not excited about the idea of taking my topside DSLR system underwater yet, however I know it may be less expensive in the long run. I already have strobes and arms, so I'm really just looking for a camera and housing with wet lenses. I would like the next camera to have more manual options than my old point-and-shoot. And I prefer clear housings... for the obvious reason... but if there is a superior option I'm for it. Oh, and I travel a good bit. I take a UW camera on 6-10 big trips a year, so it needs to be tough. Any of you photographers out there have any opinions, ideas, suggestions?

I can't really think of anything better than the G16 with Fantasea housing bundle: https://www.housingcamera.com/id2206-fantasea-13911-housing-canon-g16.html
Very high quality camera with all manual features, tough and reliable housing (double O-ring) with leak detector included, fits every standard strobe with fiber optic cables and allows wet lenses and other add-on fairly easily.
Another option would be the new Canon G7X. It's for a higher budget than the G16 but far better quality and features.
Ikelite have just released a housing for it: Canon G7X Underwater Camera and Housing by Ikelite

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom