UV26 conversion to UV18?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tomfcrist

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Id like to be able to convert my UV26 to a short body...for weight purposes. Is that even a thing?

I bought the 26 for caves, but it’s too freaking big for wreck diving...since someone has to drag it onto the boat.

if you want to permanently do it, the best way is for Rodney to do it. Unsure what he charges to do it though. Weight difference is only 20lbs though so I'm not sure that it's going to make enough of a difference when hauling it on a boat. May be worth looking at selling it and going to a properly tiny dpv. @DA Aquamaster has the piranha's for sale now and at 25lbs and using powertool batteries, it's one of the more ideal wreck diving dpv's out there

Those don’t look like any powertool batteries I’ve seen.

Inside of this?

CBDC6F02-80CF-4E44-B0B5-A90E02FEE6EB.jpeg

Correct. DiveXtra made a battery housing where you can use the battery packs of certain power tools. While I have never driven the Piranha, but I have handled the unit out of the water. Light as an AL40 and certainly far lighter than my Viper or an XJoy37. Boat crew loves these little guys. Beats lifting a Gavin out of the water...

I believe that they discontinued the regular batteries in favor of the tool batteries. I suspect due to UN38.3 compliance for shipping. Fun fact, shipping pretty much all DPV lithium batteries is in a really sketchy and questionable grey area of legality since none of them to my knowledge have been tested for UN38.3 compliance and they ship them as "prototype" packs only which is sketchy AF.

IMG_0263_clipped_rev_1_Grey-.jpg

20v, 5ah batteries. Several are mentioned on the site, but the DeWalt batteries are the most common in a lot of areas (i.e. buy them at any home supply box store).

It does seem they've gone this route as the default battery package for the P1.

I've got the original P1 lithium battery, and the real advantage to the power tool batteries is that when these things get old and lose power, you can just buy new tool batteries instead of spending a fortune on a whole new pack. The empty sleeve plus 4 batteries and a charger are cheaper for someone in Canada than the lithium pack. Mostly thanks to 'deals' for the power tool batteries and lower shipping charges. Plus a much lower customs courier extortion charge.

@sunnyboy it also allows you to fly with the Piranha without buying the nimh pack since the tool batteries are easily removable and each of them are under the 160wh limit

If you don't want to chop, you could always find someone with a UV-18 who is willing to swap tubes and battery sleds with you. It shouldn't require any work to change over.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom