Utterly self-aggrandising braggery (MCAT score)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Erku

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Don't read this if you don't want to hear someone doing nothing but bragging...

...but I scored a 38/T on my MCAT! After hundreds of hours of studying and even more stressing about the result, I think I am justified in a little victorious crowing. With that score, I have maxed out my local medical school's criteria for MCAT admissions, ie. I will get the highest possible weight on the MCAT section of the application process. I think I am just about guaranteed an interview now, even though my undergrad marks are not particularly noteworthy (not bad, but not at all enough to get me in on their own).

I really hope my friends who wrote theirs on Friday do as well. Both of them would make far better doctors than I would, but they don't have the chill easy-testing attitude I do. /worry

Disclaimer: I am not smarter than you are. I studied incredibly hard, I test well, and I was very lucky in that several test sections included things I happen to know a bit about - including one section on dive physics, right after I'd finished reading my PADI book. I was lucky and I worked hard, I don't consider myself special. That, in fact, is why I am so proud.

Okay, done tooting my own horn now.

Last edited:
Congrats!!

...but I scored a 38/T on my MCAT! After hundreds of hours of studying and even more stressing about the result, I think I am justified in a little victorious crowing. With that score, I have maxed out my local medical school's criteria for MCAT admissions, ie. I will get the highest possible weight on the MCAT section of the application process. I think I am just about guaranteed an interview now, even though my undergrad marks are not particularly noteworthy (not bad, but not at all enough to get me in on their own).

I really hope my friends who wrote his on Friday does as well. Both of them would make far better doctors than I would, but they doesn't have the chill easy-testing attitude I do. /worry

Disclaimer: I am not smarter than you are. I studied incredibly hard, I test well, and I was very lucky in that several test sections included things I happen to know a bit about - including one section on dive physics, right after I'd finished reading my PADI book. I was lucky and I worked hard, I don't consider myself special. That, in fact, is why I am so proud.

Okay, done tooting my own horn now.

Congratulations. If you haven't done so already, I'd recommend a book by Dr. Rod Elford of Calgary (Associate Professor of Medicine at UofC) on "How to get into a Canadian Medical School". If you can find a copy, give him a call; he's in the book.

Thanks DCBC, that looks like a pretty interesting book, and I'd imagine it's sold at the bookstore here since I work in the same building as Calgary's medical school. I will probably get it :D

You had to study for that?

good for you... now the real pain comes, you will not be diving for a while it seems.

Sorry, the book's called "Opening the Doors to Canadian Medical Schools"
Rod Elford M.D.
978-1-55059-084-5, (1-55059-084-7), 1994, 112 pg., 5½x8½, pb., $14.95

Its distributed by Temeron Books in Calgary:

Opening the Doors to Canadian Medical Schools

Yep, thanks again... I found it by searching the author :)

skankpile:
You had to study for that?
Well, yes. I've been out of undergrad for four years; even my basic biology was pretty rusty. Actually I probably way overstudied... my off-brand practice mcats were much, much more difficult than the real thing, which I only learned two days before the real test when I finally switched over to the 'official' practice exams. I'd say the overstudying paid off, though. My application needed the extra 'oomph'.

Congrats Erku, now celebrate by going for a dive in Minnie!

BIG Congratulations! I am back in school myself after a 29 year hiatus and cracking the books has been both challenging and rewarding. Wishing you well in med school!

Back
Top Bottom