Utility of can light with side gland

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mmadiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I was considering a new light and have never used one with a side gland.

Apart from OC sidemount configuration does a side gland have any benefit over the standard top gland? Particularly diving a revo w/ SM bailout?

It looks like it may provide a cleaner routing if mounted on the revo side bracket but not if mounted on the waist.

Experiences?

call Bobby at UWLD and talk to him about it. Obviously great for sidemount, but depending on how your harness is set up for the Revo, I really like mine tucked under my crotch strap in normal use, I greatly prefer it to waist mounting even in doubles.

call Bobby at UWLD and talk to him about it. Obviously great for sidemount, but depending on how your harness is set up for the Revo, I really like mine tucked under my crotch strap in normal use, I greatly prefer it to waist mounting even in doubles.

I replaced the stock harness with a single piece of webbing and mounting the can on the right hip in the usual way. How are you mounting your light under your crotch strap?

I dive with a Nomad butt plate and clip it to the bottom of the rails down there, doesn't work as well without a butt place because you need to get the canister right below your glutes. Mine is similar to the one below, but the worm clamps are spaced the distance of the rails apart, and the crotch strap goes over instead of under to protect it in a cave. This setup would probably work better for you since the Revo would be taller than the can anyway. If you're only using the one can on that one harness you can run a piece of 1" webbing under the worm gears to secure the can down via crotch strap. I take mine on and off regularly so mounting it under the crotch strap means I don't have to thread it through anything. I'll take a picture of mine later today
ButtMountTop.jpg

my concern with doing it on the Revo frame stems from not having a whole lot of room to get it out of the way when you are setting it down. Looks like you might almost be better off putting on the top of the frame up at the bottom of the tanks depending on how big your bottles are. If you get a UWLD, the switch is on the head so you can mount the can anywhere, and the new ones don't have lids, so literally no reason to ever touch the can other than charging.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom