Utila Whale Sharks and Gulf oil spill

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DeepBlueResort

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Hi

I have been contacted by Dr Eric Hoffmayer who runs the Gulf Research institute at the University of Southern Mississippi who is working with Dr Rachel Graham this morning, these are people that Utila work with very closely on Whale Shark research, I am sure that all of you have heard about the oil disaster from the Deepwater Horizon rig which exploded and sank, this is over 1,000 miles from us here in Utila and the oil will not effect us but what it will effect is OUR whale sharks, we know by studies that have been done that some of the whale sharks from Utila do swim through this area, we do not know for certain but believe this slick could mean death to them.

What we need you to do is pass this on to anyone that could or wants to help, this is not the time to do as we normally do, sit back and do nothing, it needs action, please please help.

Get this message out to as many people as you can, contact Dr Eric Hoffmayer for more details eric.hoffmayer@usm.edu or if you just want more info contact me I will be sending updates if and when we get them.

They do not exactly know what they will have to do at the moment

Quote from Eric

This oil spill could be the worst environmental disaster that this world has ever seen before it's over. My guess is that much of the marine life in the northcentral Gulf will be severely negatively impacted by this. Right now, all my colleagues are scrambling to deal with all the inshore species. My big concern is for the large pelagic fishes that spend a significant amount of time at the surface (i.e. whale sharks and manta rays). At this point, I do not know what we need. In the end, we may need money, people, everything.
Rachel and I have come up with a plan to monitor whale shark in the vicinity of the oil slick and then to try to tag several sharks out of the slick to see if they avoid the area, which means that we may have to start tagging more sharks at Holbox and elsewhere in the northern GOM. I have contacted people at U.S. Fish and Wildlife, NOAA, and Minerals Management Service, but everyone is scrambling and no one really knows what to do at this point.

If we can find some money, we can start aerial surveys in the region of the slick and tagging sharks outside the slick. We can also take tissue samples to see if they are being impacted by the slick.

This is already coming to shore in the region that was hardest hit by Hurricane Katrina, and could end up being the worst natural disaster the USA has seen, including the one from the Exxon Valdez, this is at least going to effect the coasts of Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama and Florida

At the moment the oil due to bad weather and rough seas is getting past the booms that have been laid out.

Look at the ''Secret Memo'' Leaked report: Government fears Deepwater Horizon well could become unchecked gusher | al.com

Here is a video of a government meeting shot in the command post where officials discuss 4.6 million gallons a day as the ultimate flow. The video was shot the day the rig sank. Video shows federal officials knew quickly of potential for massive oil flow in Gulf spill | al.com

Last minute notice the Shark Research Institute have made an amazing offer already that their microlight can be used to survey the area.

Sharksavers.org have asked how they can help raise funds.

Other than giving money is there anything we can do to help? Get our names on a volunteer list? I don't work so am not tied down, and live within easy driving distance of the Galveston area.

Would love to help in any small way. I can wash seagulls with Dawn detergent!

Hi Dee

This has all happened so fast, they are still working out logistics, I would suggest that you contact Dr Eric Hoffmayer, he is a great guy and ask, he will be able to give you more details, and Dee thank you every offer of help is important.

Gulf of Mexico-Transocean Drilling Incident

This is the best site for credible information.

The secret memo of the 50,000 bbls was the initial estimate of the max possible that the well could flow at. The wellhead has maintained integrity and the oil is leaking out of the one mile of pipe that ran between the wellhead and the ship that sank.

Steve...I did contact Dr. Hoffmayer after reading your post. His email was very nice, explaining basically the same as you....they are still in the planning stages and will contact me when they have a plan in place.

Just as an aside.....Beast is a welder for one of the big offshore pipeline services. He worked late Sat. building a pump and nozzle system to use on the bottom or on the pipe from the bottom. This is the equipment they were talking about waiting for on the news. It shipped offshore yesterday.

It is my understanding that the mantas and whale sharks will go where the plankton congregates, particularly on the surface when the seas are calm.
Will they still have the same amount of plankton on the surface if there is an oil slick?
Is it possible that the plankton will avoid the oil slick or at least not congregate in the surface.

Hi

At the moment it is unknown, do the whale sharks appear where they know there should be food or do they appear where there is food?

One thing we do know is that they do spend time on the surface even when travelling so this oil would effect them.

Back
Top Bottom