Utd dmc

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

randytay

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Has anyone taken a DM course with UTD? Any reviews or comments?

Has anyone taken a DM course with UTD? Any reviews or comments?

It's a pretty new course, so I don't think you will find a lot of people having done it so far.

You should be aware of the fact that a UTD DM will be very different from a DM from more conventional agencies, including NAUI (which I got from your profile). A UTD DM will be expected to assist in UTD instruction, and for that reason you will need to have experience in that kind of diving.

I looked at your profile, and if it is accurate, then you will need mostly new equipment for sure. I don't know how you currently dive, but I also expect you will be required to take courses prior to admission to the DM program, including especially the Essentials class.

It's a pretty new course, so I don't think you will find a lot of people having done it so far.

You should be aware of the fact that a UTD DM will be very different from a DM from more conventional agencies, including NAUI (which I got from your profile). A UTD DM will be expected to assist in UTD instruction, and for that reason you will need to have experience in that kind of diving.

I looked at your profile, and if it is accurate, then you will need mostly new equipment for sure. I don't know how you currently dive, but I also expect you will be required to take courses prior to admission to the DM program, including especially the Essentials class.

Yes, I will be switching to BP/W. As for NAUI DM, it is a superset of NAUI AI so a DM can be expected to assist in instruction, nothing new there. I am interested in their courses and am thinking of taking a fundies with either UTD or GUE prior but would like to get some feedback from anyone who may have taken a DM course with them.

Yes, I will be switching to BP/W. As for NAUI DM, it is a superset of NAUI AI so a DM can be expected to assist in instruction, nothing new there.

My point was that you will be expected to assist in UTD instruction, which means you will need to be proficient in the skills taught in those classes, some of which you may possibly have never encountered before. So you are wise in planning to take either UTD essentials or GUE fundamentals first.

The big difference between a DM in UTD and a DM in NAUI or other agencies is that you will need to travel to get the training from the UTD leadership rather than do it with a local instructor. That will make it much more intense and expensive.

I am writing in this thread rather than just sitting back and letting someone who has done the program explain it because I think you will have a hard time getting someone to respond because there have been so few (if any) at this point. I hope I am better than nothing. :D

I myself gave it a passing thought. I am an experienced PADI instructor who has gone through Tech 2 with UTD. Our local UTD instructor really needs a DM, and I would be be a logical choice to go through the training and fill that role. I have not done so because of the aforementioned time and expense. At my advanced age, and with the present low numbers of students involved in these programs, it is possible--even likely--that I would never earn as much money pursuing that role as I would spend getting the certification. If I were younger and planned to continue on to become a UTD instructor, I would probably do it.

PM rjack321 -- he did it.

The big difference between a DM in UTD and a DM in NAUI or other agencies is that you will need to travel to get the training from the UTD leadership rather than do it with a local instructor. That will make it much more intense and expensive.

So the question would be, is it worth it? Will the course justify my expense and effort? Or would I be better off sticking with NAUI and just do their essentials/tec etc?

Note I am not questioning the quality of training of UTD in general but specifically the DM course, and it's relative "position" to NAUI DM, given the extra I have to put in for that course.

Back
Top Bottom