uss emmons

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jackdamit

New
Reaction score
getting ready to dive the USS Emmons a high speed mine sweeper/ destroyer, it sank off the north west coast of okinawa in apr 45 its on the bottom at 140 fswtop is at 50 fsw, if they would finish the bridge to the small outer island it would be a shore dive, i will be diving dual 63's with eanx 28

jackdamit once bubbled...
getting ready to dive the USS Emmons a high speed mine sweeper/ destroyer, it sank off the north west coast of okinawa in apr 45 its on the bottom at 140 fswtop is at 50 fsw, if they would finish the bridge to the small outer island it would be a shore dive, i will be diving dual 63's with eanx 28

Where ever you got your info from, have them recheck it for you. She is laying on her side and what's left of the wheel house is crumbling into the sand at around 147 feet. You can actually touch her once you reach 100-105 feet, one of the davits and one of the barrels from a 5 inch gun is sticking out. At 50 feet, on a good vis day, you can start to make her shape out as you descend, and definitely go down the line or you may miss her completely. Average depth for external observation is 125. Watch out for the mess of ropes that someone has been stringing all over the place. Be prepared for a floating blue-water deco, the current can kick up fast out there.

If you plan to dive her from shore, you have one LONG swim! It is at least 250 meters to the shore of Kouri from the USS EMMONS, and you better be good at navigating in strong current and use a scooter.

Enjoy your dive, it is a great little wreck to photograph. She is off limits to penetration and once you see how deteriorated the superstructure is, you will understand how unsafe it would be to try anyway.

crazyc once bubbled...

It is at least 250 meters to the shore of Kouri from the USS EMMONS

OOPS, I'm tired, I rechecked my notes and log...it is actually 1000 meters from Kouri Island shore to the USS Emmons

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom