Using your USA phone in Fiji?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Shasta_man

Contributor
Reaction score
Going to Fiji for some diving and snorkeling.

I have a Verizon phone and am wondering about options for using a phone in Fiji.

Not too worried about using it generally but I might need it to take a proctored COVID test to re-enter the USA.

Thoughts?

What is a Verizon phone?

I have a Verizon phone and am wondering about options for using a phone in Fiji.

Not too worried about using it generally but I might need it to take a proctored COVID test to re-enter the USA.

Thoughts?

Can you get Internet service there? Doing a proctored test requires decent bandwidth. This is all done by video and requires an uninterrupted session.

Unless you can get a local SIM card with cheap and reliable LTE (and your phone is unlocked), that would a a very expensive call on Verizon. Much more expensive than just going to a local clinic. Which resort are you staying at?

Thoughts?
If your phone is no longer locked to Verizon (and is a 'droid') consider getting a Google Fi SIM. Google Fi doesn't charge 'extra' for calls to the US or for international data.

You can then also use the phone for a WiFi hotspot. If your phone is iOS, the data/calling rates are the same, but it won't allow you to make it into a hotspot

If your phone is no longer locked to Verizon (and is a 'droid') consider getting a Google Fi SIM. Google Fi doesn't charge 'extra' for calls to the US or for international data.

You can then also use the phone for a WiFi hotspot. If your phone is iOS, the data/calling rates are the same, but it won't allow you to make it into a hotspot

Regardless of which cell carrier he chooses, the critical factor here is data throughput. and stability. You have to be able to make an unbroken 15-20 min video call to an international agent.

Not only that, most companies that provide proctoring services REQUIRE a PC or Desktop device. Tablets and mobile devices are NOT supported.

proctored test.JPG

Call Verizon and tell them where and when you plan to travel. My parents routinely travel overseas and add international voice/data to one of their phones for ~$5-10 a day. You get unlimited texts, and a reasonable amount of data/voice to stay in contact with back home as needed. Google and SB can only provide so much insight without direct knowledge of your phone, plan and carrier services in the planned location.

Edit: Dad uses an iPhone X and hasn't given him any problems in most of Europe, Tahiti, Vietnam and Cambodia. In a few months he'll use the same plan and phone for Australia and New Zealand.

buy a local sim at the airport in nadi if you have an unlocked phone (or can get your carrier to give you the unlock code so you can unlock it before your trip)

digicel has good tourist plans and also offers esims

bring a laptop and then set the phone to wifi hotspot mode as needed for the proctored covid test

buy a local sim at the airport in nadi if you have an unlocked phone (or can get your carrier to give you the unlock code so you can unlock it before your trip)

digicel has good tourist plans and also offers esims

bring a laptop and then set the phone to wifi hotspot mode as needed for the proctored covid test
If you're going to bring a laptop, find somewhere with Internet available. Playing games with a SIM or eSIM with limited speed and duration in the South Pacific aint gonna cut it for a Zoom call where a bandwidth breakdown negates the Covid test. Personally I would just pay the money for a proper test.

fiji is on the SCCN directly to hawaii, latency and bandwidth if you are near one of the bigger towns that has 4G LTE is not an issue

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom