Using Twist On light in soft Goodman?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stuartv

Seeking the Light
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I just got a new light with a soft Goodman handle. It's a twist on/off light. I suppose I should have asked about this before I bought it, but anyway...

If I want to have the light in a soft Goodman handle on the back of my hand, and I don't want it to be on all the time, how do I turn it on and off? I haven't gotten it wet yet, but it seems like if I try to turn it on or off while I'm wearing it it will (or might) just spin in the holder.

I suppose one answer might be, if I don't want it on all the time, then just hold it in my hand when I'm using it.

And for the same question once I get a video light, I suppose the answer might be to get a Goodman handle to carry my GoPro, mount the light on that as well, and then I can easily turn the light on/off. But, I think I would like to have a workable solution that doesn't require buying a Goodman for my GoPro. I've already done a couple of dives where I just carried/aimed my GoPro with one hand and pointed my video light at my subject from the back of my other hand and that was okay. Not ideal, but okay until I'm ready to really spend more money.

So? Turn on/off a twist on light while in a soft Goodman? Or should I buy a light with a switch instead?

if you have a twist on in a goodman, you remove it to turn it on and off, either the light from the sock, or the sock from the hand. Personal preference, generally you just leave it on for the dive though.

re. gopro, two solutions. Put it on your head and just aim with your head and the light. This is better because the angled light helps with backscatter, if you have a highpower light right next to the lens you'll have horrible backscatter if there is any particulate matter in the water. Best to two hand it

Is there a way to put the GP on my head without buying a special mask and without wearing a helmet?

Hmmm... I was looking at Terrapin to maybe get one of their cool hoods. Like, one with a shark fin or something. I wonder if they could make something like that that also has a GP mount on it....

just use the head strap that comes with it... Some people get dizzy watching head mounted gopro video especially with new divers, so it may very well be a proper two handed operation if you need the light

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom