Using scuba kit overland

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hintermann

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am going for 11 days of diving (liveaboard plus land based) to the Cayman Islands in 5 days time and on my way back to the UK am stopping for 4 days to see the Everglades National Park. Among the various activities planned are night-time hikes (ranger led) and a night airboat ride. My specific questions are

1. Is it OK to ise my 1050 lumen Beuchat dive torch as a flashlight for night hikes and the airboat ride?

2. Although I have a couple of powerful dry flashguns, they cannot match my Ikelite dive strobes for output. Is it safe to use the underwater strobes for night photography on dry land? Or do I risk damaging the kit?

Regarding using the strobe on land, all 3 of the strobes that I have used( 2 Sea& Sea, one Intova) contained cautions about using the strobe out of water, due to the possibility of overheating/damaging the unit. IIRC, they indicated that more than a very few "firings" to test the unit could cause damage. While I don't know if those instructions were just to CYA from the manufacturers, I followed them just the same.
I'd suggest checking the instructions, that came with the strobe in question just to be safe.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom