Using go pro with lights?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DXHI

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have an upcoming trip and really want to purchase a good underwater camera and housing..but current economic situation is making it hard to justify the cost.

Was wondering if anyone had good luck using some of the go-pro kits...stabilizing handles with lights ...and if so, what settings I should use etc..

Anyone willing to provide sample pics from depth for comparison?

I don't have access to pics or video at this moment but I use a GoPro 4 Black , a tray and two Orcatorch 910V lights and have had some great luck with that setup. It is like me, cheap and easy. :D

There are several examples in this thread - a GoPro plus a reasonably priced tray and a reasonably priced light will get you started.

To tether or not to tether

I know that my rig is capable of shooting better footage than I am. When that changes, I'll upgrade.

Look if you purchase a Gopro 5 through 8 series black. You can get on eBay a 32 LED light assembly through “Suptig”. The cost is around 20 bucks or so and is good to over 100 foot in depth. I use it on my GoPro hero 7 and hero 5 black cameras and it works great. The Suptig 32 LED light uses gopro hero 4 batteries and they are inexpensive on eBay. You can spend a ton more money but if your looking for a budget light, I’m telling you for the money it works great. I used my first Suptig for 4 years and finally flooded it last year. I bought two this year and used them past 106 feet in the Grand Cayman island with no issue.

Good luck
Glenn

I have personally taken my Suptig down to 105 feet and no issues with flooding etc. even though it is a bright light, the focal plane is wide. So using an extension pole you have to be pretty close to get a good resolution shot with a gopro. I would say within 2 feet or less. Doing so at depth brings the colors back and also using a red filter. The only problem with these type of lights is the washout effect. No problem if your expecting it. But for 20 bucks it’s ok. I at some point will invest in a higher lumens and point of aim light but the ones I have seen are over 100 dollars. I enjoy diving and don’t want to be encumbered with a full photo rig, where it is the focal plane of the dive. I like my telescoping pole, gopro and the Suptig as it is a small package and doesn’t interfere with my dive and is readily accessible when scenery or wildlife presents itself for video.

Glenn

I have used that LED light that takes GoPro batteries and I found it to be lackluster unless you are doing close up shots. Just my experience with it.

I much prefer my OrcaTorch tray and 910V lights which allows me to light up the coral and marine life decently without it costing an arm and a leg. It is bright but not so bright it lights up the entire ocean on a night dive like some rigs I have seen in the water.

I have played with a couple of the suptigs. You want 2 of them. That will do OK for 2-4 feet of lighting. One light, massive shadowing issues, thus you need 2. As far as depth, they are rated for 164. No issues for a week in Truk including a few trips to 200'. For the price, good. Not high end, not even mid range, But good quality. You should learn a lot about lighting with them. They were worth it for me.

This video was taken with a GoPro4 mounted to an inexpensive two handle tray, Backscatter 20-50 red filter and two cheap Evolva D2 video lights. No color correction was applied. The irritating bright flashes of light are other divers shining their flashlights on the subject.

Just remember you get what you pay for. I have had a half dozen of the Evolva lights flood or fail. I am still using the GoPro4 and Backscatter filters, but I have upgraded to a Snake River Prototype two handle tray and two BigBlue VL4000P video lights.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom