Using a single tank on a wing desgined for twin sets -Advice / How to?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Zeke XA3

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Queensland - Australia - Most of the time
# of dives
5000 - ∞
Hey guys,

I been practicing with a friends wing in prep for some tech courses in the future and have just seen what looks like a bargain come up,

Adreno T50 Wing Kit - Aluminium | Adreno Scuba Diving Centre

$149 for a 50lb wing and Aluminum backplate with webbing but no mounting options.

I would like a wing for recreational use and this looks like a good bargain, if i buy this and get some sort of adapter to mount a single tank will it still ""work" ok? Whats the disadvantage on mounting a single tank on a large Wing like this? and where can i get some single tank adapter pieces at a good price?

Z

I would highly recommend against this. They make doubles and singles wings for a reason. Using too large of a wing (doubles wing with a single tank) makes it very hard if not impossible to manage the air in the wing. There is simply too much air space and the wing will "taco" above the tank and it will be darn near impossible to get the air out. Use the right tool for the right job. If you're diving singles and want to use a backplate and wing, get the right tool ... a singles wing.

But for the price is it worth getting this harness,back plate and doubles wing and just getting separate single wing later?
They are offering single wing for $150 so for $300i can get back plate, harness, single and double wing

But for the price is it worth getting this harness,back plate and doubles wing and just getting separate single wing later?
They are offering single wing for $150 so for $300i can get back plate, harness, single and double wing

I've never heard of the company. You can get a Dive Rite backplate and harness for around $110:
Backplate, Harness and Wing Systems (BPW) by Dive Rite - Dive Gear Express

There are other reputable online retailers as well you can check. Here are a couple more with great reputations:
Dive Right In Scuba - Store Main Page - Plainfield, IL
Add Helium

Bottom line is to get the right tool for the job. If you're going to be diving singles, get a singles wing. You can get a backplate and harness for $110-$150. A singles wing would then be another $225-$300, unless you buy used.

Here's a good article on wing selection and why it's a very bad idea to use a wing that is way too big for your needs:
Suggestions for Selecting a Wing - Dive Gear Express

I would also highly advise against using a double wing for single cylinder diving and I also don't know the vendor.

But if you really have no other choice you could bungee-up the wing to help control the bubble/taco, but I did not say that.

Yeah i wouldnot bungee the wing,

Looking around id be spending $450 + p and p to get a harness/wing/backplate from a known brand, pity they had no single tank configs left at $150 else i would have bought it for sure to try, after all $150 for a first wing to play with is a steal! But i wont get to use doubles here so i dont think its worth the money really. Better off spending 400 on a better and exact brand than 300 on a cheap sell of it seems.

For what it's worth, Adreno are my local dive shop, and they are a legit company. They are a HUGE scuba store and often have the odd thing here or there for crazy cheap. A local GUE instructor told me the quality of their bp/w was good. I have no knowledge of where they are made (presumably china) or anything, though. I will probably pop in there tomorrow, so ifthere's anything in particular you'd like to know, I'm happy to pass questions on.

Last edited:
I . . . have just seen what looks like a bargain come up, $149 for a 50lb wing and Aluminum backplate with webbing but no mounting options. . . .
I would like a wing for recreational use and this looks like a good bargain, if i buy this and get some sort of adapter to mount a single tank will it still ""work" ok? Whats the disadvantage on mounting a single tank on a large Wing like this? and where can i get some single tank adapter pieces at a good price?
It does look like a good bargain - an AL BP, a BP cover, and a harness for $149. Oh, and by the way, you also get a free 50lb donut wing that you can use later for doubles, or sell to someone who needs a doubles wing right now.

This wing will not 'work' very well for single tank diving. Can you dive a single tank with it? Absolutely. Will it taco, big time? Absolutamente! Will the air bubble in the wing shift around a lot and probably drive you crazy? Probably. If I was stuck in a place where it was all I had to dive with, would I use it? You betcha!
ajduplessis:
But if you really have no other choice you could bungee-up the wing to help control the bubble/taco, but I did not say that.
And, I would NOT SAY the same recommendation. I have dove a Dive Rite Rec Wing (51lb lift) with single tanks for years - not my favorite single tank wing, but I happen to have one that I use at times. I constrict the bungees on the wing as much as I can and it works. But, it is not ideal. With the Adeno, you won't be bungeeing it. I am sure it is a nice wing, if you pursue tec in the future, it will probably serve you well. For now, if you want an AL BP and a harness, $149 isn't a terrible price (although maybe you could do a bit better). As to where you can get a STA - lots of online vendors if there isn't a shop local to you.

Adreno is a huge dive store in fact I think they are Problue Australia.

Problue is a huge oem manufacturer of dive gear including a lot of very well known masks one of which looks very similar to this:
www.problue.com.tw/dv pr/ms239b.gif

Anyway, in terms of quality I have no doubt it is well made and I would buy it myself. However, you'll still need a singles wing, cam bands and and sta.

You might want to speak to Collin to ask if they sell an sta.

Very similar to a certain H brand lol!

Best thing it's in Ozzie dollars lol!

I have a Frog single wing that is the same as Adreno's single wing, with the exception of the branding. I know some of the guys who works for Adreno, and they say that the wings do come from China or Taiwan.

My advice would be to buy the T50 complete rig and the singles wing, that way you have a doubles wing for when you do go twins, and a single wing for everything else. Oh and one thing, the single wing will need an STA.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom